When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Huffman Victory Bicycle

-

Stahlhelms

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello, I am new to the CABE, but have found some great info already. I recently purchased a Victory Bicycle that I am looking for more info on.
The serial number is H109674. I bought it from the original owner's son and I think it is all original. Hopefully the experts can help with that. The seller said his dad bought it in 1945. Does that explain the chromed handlebars? Any info is appreciated.

20220929_155034.jpg

20220929_155102.jpg

20220929_155134.jpg

20220929_155140.jpg

20220929_155200.jpg

20220929_155245.jpg

20220929_155256.jpg

20220929_155608.jpg

Also, would the chromed handlebars be OK bars?
The original owner did not get drafted as he was a farmer and got this bike new during the war.
I bought it from his son who is cleaning out his parents house since they have both passed.
It wouldn't make sense that the handlebars would have been replaced and not other parts too.

Hi @Stahlhelms

Yes, the date of the fork is September 43. The frame is a little earlier in 1943, but completion may have been held up by a batch of military bicycles that were built close to your serial number.

The chainwheel is strange, I've not seen it on any Huffman or Westfield bikes from this era, but odd things happened during the war.

The rack is earlier than the bike, probably 1920's to early 30's.

Huffman did used chromed bars and other parts late into the war, possibly they were already in stock? I would have to look to see if I could find other examples, but I can't for another week.

Hope this helps, Best Regards, Adrian

Hi Rob, @Stahlhelms

I have a Grown Up Slat MB (-:

Not to keep putting the same posts up, if you'd like to see it, it's at Post 14 here:

577th BS was based at Seething, Norfolk, UK, which is about 70 miles from where I came from, and I did at least one aircrew reunioin there during the 1980's.

As I say, I'll look into the bike a little more when I'm back off homiday.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @Stahlhelms

Thanks for you nice comment. Did you build the baby slat yourself?

Back in the 1980's,through to the 2000's, a lot of USAAF and other US military veterans were retiring, and heading back to see where they'd been during the war. I was lucky at that time to have a jeep, and be involved with some incredible USAAF runions. Some of the airfields were nearly untouched, some completely gone. Now (sadly) most of the veterans have gone too.

Wendling wasn't one of the sites I visited at that time (did your Dad get the chance to come back?)

Of many notable reunions, I did one at Harrington which was the only time I saw a complete bomber crew return, all wearing their original A2's. One of the crew (from a Liberator 'The Leading Lady') donated his jacket to the British Imperial War Museum a couple of days later, and it was the example on display there for many yars.

To bikes.... Just by coincidence, I noticed the same chainwheel on a 1942 Snyder being discussed on another thread.

As I said, odd things happened in the war, I have, for example, seen Huffman built frames with Westfield serial numbers, so an alternativly sourced chainwheel is not a big deal.

Incidentally, I should mention that your serial number appears between two blocks of military contract G519 bicycles. Here is a screenshot of a survivor's list I've been compiling.

1664819482876.png

Bet Regards,

Adrian

Unfortunately, my dad did not go to any reunions.
He said it was depressing as more and more failed to show up through the years.

The mini jeep was a project that my son, my father in law and I did while up my jeep.
The body is a kit made by MD Juan. I saw it when getting parts for my jeep and the saga began.
It is powered and sitting on a John Deere riding mower with a lot of modifications.

Can I contact you directly with some more Victory Bike questions unrelated to this post?

Rob

Back