When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Huffman Victory Bicycle

-
Also, would the chromed handlebars be OK bars?
The original owner did not get drafted as he was a farmer and got this bike new during the war.
I bought it from his son who is cleaning out his parents house since they have both passed.
It wouldn't make sense that the handlebars would have been replaced and not other parts too.
To the best of my knowledge, by the time your bike was built, they were using polished steel stems and handlebars.

Which after quite a few years look like this if not kept up.

Hi @Stahlhelms

MD Juan, there's a company I havn't thought of in a while.

Yes, contact me as you wish. Replies will be a bit spotty over the next few days since I'm currently travelling back from Istanbul.

Best Regards,

Adrian

To the best of my knowledge, by the time your bike was built, they were using polished steel stems and handlebars.

Which after quite a few years look like this if not kept up.

View attachment 1706231
I have to respectfully disagree with Pierce. After owning 6 or 7 of these, my experience is Huffman mixed chrome and Parkerized (black out) parts through out the entire war. I have never seen a polished steel bar used. They are either chrome or Parkerized. A tell-tale sign to determine if a chrome bar is original is to look for adhesive residue on the grip area. At some point these were being sent from the factory with wood grips only. These grips were glued-on as they have a tendency to crack. Even after cracking the adhesive keeps them in place. The first link is the cleanest example ever in my possession, the grips are replacements but the bars had the glue residue I discussed. The girl's example in the second link shows one type of original wood grips coming from the factory. Huffman used at least two different profiles of wood grips during the war. I will try to post a NOS set in the alternative profile in the next few days.

Also, at an undetermined date, wood block pedals were being used when these left the factory.

Of the ones I have owned (and others I have seen) they all had the typical Huffman "slug" profile chainring. I would guess your ring was replaced at some point. These come up for sale regularly and would be easy to change out.

Last edited:
Hi @Stahlhelms

MD Juan, there's a company I havn't thought of in a while.

Yes, contact me as you wish. Replies will be a bit spotty over the next few days since I'm currently travelling back from Istanbul.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Adrian,
I could not figure out how to send directly to you, so I started a new post

Back