When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Ration Era Elgin Lightweight - Built by Who?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
so then @3-speeder , how do you like the ride on the Kenda 597's?

Did they go on the rims smoothly? I still have to mount the ones I got for my 1944 Huffman, heck, I still have a lot to do on it.

Reactions: Miq
so then @3-speeder , how do you like the ride on the Kenda 597's?

Did they go on the rims smoothly? I still have to mount the ones I got for my 1944 Huffman, heck, I still have a lot to do on it.
As far as the Kendas go..... I'm glad that they are easy to find. They're an okay tire. I like their large-ish profile. Gives a nice ride. They went on the rims alright. I read this trick somewhere. Use a 100% silicone spray on the tire all the way around the rim. Then pump it up to max pressure and it should "pop" into full round and seat real nice. This works pretty good. Only use 100% silicone though. I use a pump bottle off tread mill lubricant. The sprays have a petrol based propellant. Once it's seated well I'll let some air out and wipe off any excess. Here's what I've been using.

image.jpg

Last edited:
do you have the sears number on the bike. is it one number or two? Sears used a code for their suppliers.

do you have the sears number on the bike. is it one number or two? Sears used a code for their suppliers.
This is what the code on the bottom bracket looks like to me. Two lines one above the other
MOD-502. 211
ER 1 9 6 3 8
In the second line the numbers are all out-of-line, kinda wavy and oddly spaced.
Perhaps there is an S8 above both of those lines. Check the picture in the first post of this thread.
What do you make out?

This is what the code on the bottom bracket looks like to me. Two lines one above the other
MOD-502. 211
ER 1 9 6 3 8
In the second line the numbers are all out-of-line, kinda wavy and oddly spaced.
Perhaps there is an S8 above both of those lines. Check the picture in the first post of this thread.
What do you make out?

502 is Murray built
501 is Westfield built.

here is the 501 on my Westfield built Elgin.

Back