When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-53 find!!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Question-- this is a black and gold bike, obviously. The sprocket is a skiptooth and they were not available during the 57-58 time period. So the skip tooth was swapped out later? I assume that is most likely?
I found out from a very, very knowledgeable gentleman that you just can't always go by the "standard" color category to determine year of lots of bikes. They also had editions in varying colors. Technically,..according to the standards,..my '58 is supposed to be black and gold as well. But...in fact the true factory color on mine is "flamboyant black cherry and gold".
The code for the year will be on the bottom bracket.
1953- MOS
1954-MOT
1955-MOU
1956-MOV or MOTV
1957-MOTW
1958-MOTX

I found out from a very, very knowledgeable gentleman that you just can't always go by the "standard" color category to determine year of lots of bikes. They also had editions in varying colors. Technically,..according to the standards,..my '58 is supposed to be black and gold as well. But...in fact the true factory color on mine is "flamboyant black cherry and gold".
The code for the year will be on the bottom bracket.
1953- MOS
1954-MOT
1955-MOU
1956-MOV or MOTV
1957-MOTW
1958-MOTX
Thanks you but this is what my bottom bracket says --

IMG_1589.JPG

I see the MOTW above your number. It's a good 'ol 57 for sure.
Not likely that skip tooth is original but who knows for sure. May have used up some extra leftover stock.....??? It is a correct style and only a couple years past the skip tooth era
Just a possible assumption

I see the MOTW above your number. It's a good 'ol 57 for sure.
Not likely that skip tooth is original but who knows for sure. May have used up some extra leftover stock.....??? It is a correct style and only a couple years past the skip tooth era
Just a possible assumption
Thank you sir!!!

Hi Marc, my X53 is a 58, MOTX serial #. Red and gold but not much of either left on it. Actually just got this one in the stand and will be making a thread for it shortly. You might want to send @Foxclassics a pm, he had a bare frame and bare fork with a rear rack and braces in black and gold at the Memory Lane summer swap pretty cheap, he may still have them. Good luck in search, Joe

Hi Marc, my X53 is a 58, MOTX serial #. Red and gold but not much of either left on it. Actually just got this one in the stand and will be making a thread for it shortly. You might want to send @Foxclassics a pm, he had a bare frame and bare fork with a rear rack and braces in black and gold at the Memory Lane summer swap pretty cheap, he may still have them. Good luck in search, Joe
Thanks for the heads up and watching out for me!!!

Back