When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X53, Is it worth restoring?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

yoerg4

Look Ma, No Hands!
Last year I picked up several old bikes from a guy in the Dakotas. One was this X53. I'm more into pre war stuff and know very little about it. As you can see it is rough. Is it worth restoration? Sould I sell it for parts? It does ride really nice, just looks rough and is missing several spendy parts.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• x53 and buds 001.jpg
    x53 and buds 001.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 134
  • x53 and buds 006.jpg
    x53 and buds 006.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 93
  • x53 and buds 005.jpg
    x53 and buds 005.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 80
Yes! Even if you don't want to search for the missing pieces, it would make a hell of a ratrod bike. Nice find!

Personally I don't think it is worth restoring. The cost of parts, paint, and chrome would probably cost about double what it is worth. V/r Shawn

Clean it up a bit, grease it and make a tank plate. Guys over at RatRodBikes would love that thing.

You can have a rider

accumulate the parts and have a funky ride-lots of fun and you get more interest (which leads to more bikes AH HA!) from the public with a crusty one than shiny-- they can tell it is old from far away- chrome plating costs would be more than the finished bike would be worth

Thanks for the thoughts!
I think this would be perfect for a rat bike-and a lot of fun! Being that it is not really my era I think I am going to sell it to someone who would make better use of it so if anyone is interested or knows of someone looking for a project like this feel free to contact me. The bike is in St Paul, MN.

I'm sick of hearing how things like "cost more to restore than its worth so part it out". It's like that with everything. Just use your own judgement, rarity of teh bike, what you like to do with it, etc.

You see many items for sale stating

I'm sick of hearing how things like "cost more to restore than its worth so part it out". It's like that with everything. Just use your own judgement, rarity of teh bike, what you like to do with it, etc.

HEY I AM ASKING LESS THAN THE COST OF RESTORATION! and no offers etc. Then people laugh at the ridiculous price they are asking, which is legitimately much less than invested.

Most rational people with limited means do not want to be grossly upside down money wise in any material item that does not have great emotional value (wait, what about depreciation in a new car?...never had one-don't know). If they can be helped BEFORE a mistake- why not? Ultimately it is their decision anyway.

If people would stop asking the question we'd quit answering it! Seriously though a lot of people have no idea what it costs or whether it is worth it so this is a legitimate question. I'd rather see the question than look on ebay and see some uber rare original bike being parted because someone assumed it would cost too much to restore. V/r Shawn

Back