When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yardsale score Bridgestone RB-1

-

Mr.RED

Finally riding a big boys bike
Not bad for $50 the infamous Bridgestone RB-1 I think its a 1996 model with the full Shimano 600 tri color 8 speed kit. Has a few paint chips that I need to add some color over all in good shape. The rear wheel was junk so I found a set of modern wheels to toss on granted the rear wheel needs a spoke and 8 speed cassette but they look really good. I just started this project today so more pictures will be coming.
44991884434_5d6b526f1c_z.jpg

43899094280_5a5efc38a3_z.jpg

45670888682_eb074f332b_z.jpg

-----

Wonderful find.

Help my rusty memory -

What year was it that BS took back decision making for U.S. market products from Grant?

-----

Not sure on that info to be honest but I think Grant left BS in the late 90's . I could be wrong still his bikes have reached cult status .

-----

One thing anent the machine which made me think of this is that it is built with a coherent road ensemble, all pieces of a set.

Grant was famous/notorious for specifying very mixed kitting which drove up the manufacturer's cost.

Typically, cycle manufacturers in Nippon will get all the bits for their products from one keiretsu in order to be able to offer the most bang for the yen.

So I was assuming subject machine is a post-Grant product.

-----

Yeah I just had to look it up this is post Grant since he started Rivendell in 1994. Still not a bad quality bike for the money .

-----

Thanks very much for the response! ;)

Sounds just right.

Me auld "braine" oftimes requires an assist on memory. :blush:

First met Grant in 1977 when he was clerking at an R.E.I. store.

If you are BS knowledgeable perhaps you are familiar with the Atlantis line.

These are traditional touring machines the company produces which are distributed in the NIppon market but not in North America, AFAIK.

At one point, years ago, was told by a Japanese national in the trade that this had to do with legal matters and/or business agreements.

Once upon a time there was an Atlantis badge in Europe and possibly one in America as well, IIRC. So it might have to do with the rights to the name.

Does anyone know if these were ever brought in in an organised manner?

Thank you for any information.

-----

I am pretty sure most of Rivendells flagship models are now made in Japan in the same complex with Nitto/Slimworks I was on the Rivendell blog not long ago reading about this. The argument is to save cost and still get the same quality. Rivendell still will make models here but there popular high selling frames are made in Japan. And recently Bridgestone has announced they will be making steel bikes again along side carbon and aluminum ones also.

Not only did Bridgestone make quality bicycles they also made really cool catalogs.
44920136275_032ff69a8a_z.jpg

45108532754_72dedb93d6_z.jpg

31962319248_eb5710513b_z.jpg

44920136815_38d6867c19_z.jpg

45832986981_46355ab94f_z.jpg

They were good quality bikes. Anyone know why they abruptly pulled out of the bicycle market in the 90’s?

Back