When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Year and Originality of this Elgin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
M

methos109

I just purchased this Elgin and was wondering what components on it are factory. I believe its a 1937. The fenders appear correct but not sure about the chainguard. The stem may have been changed?? Any thoughts on the rear carrier? Its a good rider as is but I may research the original color and eventually repaint. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• elgin 008.jpg
    elgin 008.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 175
  • elgin 011.jpg
    elgin 011.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:
Your Elgin is not far off as it sits, these bikes were generally minimally equipped so it is more a matter of subtraction than addition to make it correct. 1937 is a good guess for the bike, it is a Westfield product so the serial number will give you the year it was made and roughly place it during the year by the sequential number.

The bike likely did not have a rack or chain guard when it was sold. The rack is a CWC unit and in not correct for the bike. The chain guard is a generic period item and could have been purchased in the day as an accessory.

The fenders look correct for a late version of the bike and if it is a late version, the paint would have been the three stripe paint job in black/white or red/white rather than the earlier dart pattern

Elgin

Phil, Thank you for the very useful information. Its good to know it's by Westfield, these Columbia's keep following me home. If its the early dart pattern then it will be straightforward enough to do the stenciling.:cool:

Bryan Russell

Elgin

VERY NICE BIKE, HERE'S MY ELGIN MOTOR BIKE. :cool:

Attachments

• Picture 414.jpg
    Picture 414.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 415.jpg
    Picture 415.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Picture 417.jpg
    Picture 417.jpg