When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Year of this Bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Also, check the size of the bike from the top of the seat tube down to the center of the crank opening. To see if it is 18 or 20".

Steve...you said “new deeper chain guard”. Doesn’t that refer to the fenders in the ad?

Wow. I didn't know that before...see I am a beginner. That is great to know for me personally, because one of my 1940 D97XE's I have just recently cleaned up have 1941 fenders/guards; see attached photo. And here they say in the Ad that they are "new deeper style" in the 1941 model. The difference in the fender/guard from 1941 is different. Just like the chain guard. The previous year; 1940 on the DX's didn't have the Schwinn logo or logo design in the outline of the chain guard. The reason I pointed out the chain guard only, is because your bike is exactly like the bottom picture, but has the chain guard. I attached a picture of my 1940 DX's with one of them having what appears the 1941 fenders. Thanks for showing me something new.

1940 Schwinn D97XE both bikes (left side).jpg

My understanding from many experts on these threads, I have heard that just because the Ad says one thing doesn't mean that is how it was or consistently. It is just nice to have some kind of basis to work from. Like I just learned from @fordmike65 that the deep fenders were only for one year. Or that they are called mudd guards too.

My understanding from many experts on these threads, I have heard that just because the Ad says one thing doesn't mean that is how it was or consistently. It is just nice to have some kind of basis to work from. Like I just learned from @fordmike65 that the deep fenders were only for one year. Or that they are called mudd guards too.
Never take ads and catalogs as Gospel. Too many bikes have been "corrected" throughout the years....only to find several others just like it. Sometimes regional builds, others special ordered or equipped as a retailer wished.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/what-the-bicycle-anomalies-lets-see-them.109123/

Never take ads and catalogs as Gospel. Too many bikes have been "corrected" throughout the years....only to find several others just like it. Sometimes regional builds, others special ordered or equipped as a retailer wished.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/what-the-bicycle-anomalies-lets-see-them.109123/

That is wonderful insight Mike. Thanks for sharing. I can't help what I have done to the two 1940 bikes I just got a month ago, Even though I said I was going to keep them original and keep those original parts I took off. I wonder if those original parts will ever go back on when those bikes go to the next owner. :cool:

Back