When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Year of this Western Flyer?

-

Raskattack

On Training Wheels
Hi, I'm wanting to find out for sure what year/model this is (also to find out basically how much it's worth). Basically I'm not sure if the tag on it is correct and would like a second opinion from people who know for sure.

I wasn't able to find a serial number, but I may just need to look in the correct place (don't know where that is).

It says it's a Murray-Ohio one, if that helps.

20180318_125945.jpg

20180318_125954.jpg

20180318_132550.jpg

20180318_132556.jpg

20180318_132605.jpg

The black decal on above the bottom bracket shows the exact year which would be late 70's early 80's like the Monterey I have.

The price is well over what it's worth in that condition. Maybe about $50 if it's in riding condition with the headset & bottom bracket greased good. Too bad the white wall lightning dart tires they used at the time are gone.

I may have finally found the serial number, would this be it?
20180318_160134.jpg

But either way, if it's only an '81, then $100 is still too much. It's clearly been sitting outside for a long time.

Maybe it is my eyes but htat bike has the wrong size (very undersized) tires on it. It may even have the wrong wheels to. They look like lightweight wheels and tires not middleweights. Roger

Yes that's part of the serial number which is stamped on both sides. I know more about Murray itself or the Sears version but not the Western Auto one. Part of the serial would be the model number in the Western Auto catalog though.

Those wheels are definitely look Murray used on Monterey's. The tires might just be too small for it.

Back