When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Year of this Western Flyer?

-
Hi, I'm wanting to find out for sure what year/model this is (also to find out basically how much it's worth). Basically I'm not sure if the tag on it is correct and would like a second opinion from people who know for sure.

I wasn't able to find a serial number, but I may just need to look in the correct place (don't know where that is).

It says it's a Murray-Ohio one, if that helps.

Good Morning,

I can tell you are new and wanting to get into the hobby (I am guessing, because this is the second inquiry I saw from you this morning)

We all started out just like you did. Finding a true classic can be tough, and this is a rough time to do so because people have "Barrett-Jackson Syndrome" with bicycles, just like they do with old cars. Thanks to the "American Pickers", eBay, Pawn Stars, etc, people see a 1930's or 1950's classic, look at a rusted repop from the 80s, and see big dollar signs. People see a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6 sell for $100,000 on TV, then look at a rusted-out 1970 Plymouth sedan with a Slant-6 and no options as if it is worth $80,000.

A good place to start, is to figure out what era or style you like. Do you like Atomic Age or Space Race-era style? Perhaps a middleweight from the 1950's-1960's would suit you. Like pre-war art deco and curves? Go with a balloon-tire bike from the 1930's or 1940's. Muscle bikes like the Schwinn Sting-Ray or Huffy Rail? Start with bikes from the 1960's and 70's. A Google search or asking and browsing here can help you figure out what you really, truly want. Vintage BMX bikes, pre-WWI models, old roadbikes, etc. are other niche models.

Once you find your niche, go and seek it out. Post wanted ads here or on other sites, browse estate or barn sales, swap meets, etc. Arm yourself with knowledge of what you are looking for to avoid getting ripped off. Your suspicions about the bike posted above saved you $100 of embarrassment. That is commendable, most people get taken without thinking.

Deals can be had, if you are willing to do the work and have patience.

Before, bought for $75 sight unseen from a Craigslist garage sale ad:

sjbefore-jpg.jpg
sjbefore1-jpg.jpg
sjbefore4-jpg.jpg
sjbefore2-jpg.jpg

After, with 2.5 years of patience, finding parts, and gentle, GENTLE cleaning and refurb. All original paint and chrome:

sjafter5-jpg.jpg

da124541af73cb41c710cfa154f13ae7.jpg
end of day.jpg
toy shop1.jpg

da124541af73cb41c710cfa154f13ae7.jpg

end of day.jpg

toy shop1.jpg

Good Morning,

I can tell you are new and wanting to get into the hobby (I am guessing, because this is the second inquiry I saw from you this morning)

We all started out just like you did. Finding a true classic can be tough, and this is a rough time to do so because people have "Barrett-Jackson Syndrome" with bicycles, just like they do with old cars. Thanks to the "American Pickers", eBay, Pawn Stars, etc, people see a 1930's or 1950's classic, look at a rusted repop from the 80s, and see big dollar signs. People see a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6 sell for $100,000 on TV, then look at a rusted-out 1970 Plymouth sedan with a Slant-6 and no options as if it is worth $80,000.

A good place to start, is to figure out what era or style you like. Do you like Atomic Age or Space Race-era style? Perhaps a middleweight from the 1950's-1960's would suit you. Like pre-war art deco and curves? Go with a balloon-tire bike from the 1930's or 1940's. Muscle bikes like the Schwinn Sting-Ray or Huffy Rail? Start with bikes from the 1960's and 70's. A Google search or asking and browsing here can help you figure out what you really, truly want. Vintage BMX bikes, pre-WWI models, old roadbikes, etc. are other niche models.

Once you find your niche, go and seek it out. Post wanted ads here or on other sites, browse estate or barn sales, swap meets, etc. Arm yourself with knowledge of what you are looking for to avoid getting ripped off. Your suspicions about the bike posted above saved you $100 of embarrassment. That is commendable, most people get taken without thinking.

Deals can be had, if you are willing to do the work and have patience.

Before, bought for $75 sight unseen from a Craigslist garage sale ad:

View attachment 775417View attachment 775418View attachment 775419View attachment 775420

After, with 2.5 years of patience, finding parts, and gentle, GENTLE cleaning and refurb. All original paint and chrome:

View attachment 775421
View attachment 775414 View attachment 775415 View attachment 775416

View attachment 775411

View attachment 775412

View attachment 775413

Wow, she's a beauty!! Hell, before and after!

Actually though, the reason I asked about this Western Flyer was just because I work at a thrift store and I saw this bike on the sales floor with this tag and wanted to double check ust to make sure the age/price was correct (or to fix it if it wasn't - just because we're a thrift store and I wouldn't want any of our customers to overpay for something that was falsely-advertised, even accidentally).

Then, just because of asking about this bike, I got curious about my own, because the style looked similar.

Unfortunately I don't have enough time or money to refurbish anything even if I wanted to, haha
And thankfully I hate "reality" tv so I don't want any of those shows lol Buuuut, as you said, they are quite popular these days, and that was my main worry, that someone would spend $100 on this bike because the tag was wrong and end up being screwed over. Because then that also makes our store look bad, and I don't want that either.

A handful of years ago though I did find (and of course buy) a rare 4-speed 1966 Mustang from Craigslist for $3,000 with the hopes of fully restoring it (because that's always been my dream car, especially a manual).
Buuuut then my ex went and sold it out from under me :(

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy reply.
But yeah, the main reason I looked up this bike was just to hopefully save our customers some money, not necessarily to get into the hobby itself, but I may try to learn more about this stuff anyway just on case I do happen to find an old diamond in the rough somewhere (or in case this same thing happens again at work).

Wow sorry about your Mustang. I have a 66 6 3 speed it had and hope to get one back in.

Back