When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Years of Schwinn Spitfire 5 and single speed Spitfire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

blue6218

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi There, I am curious as to what years Schwinn made the Spitfire 5. Was it 1977, 1978, and 1979? Or was it just 1979? I am also curious what years the single speed coaster brake Spitfire was made...Thanks for any information you can pass along....John

The original coaster brake Spitfires were made in the 1950s/60s. I did some more research and the CB Spitfires were all three of your years 1977,78 and 79. I found a reference for the 5 speed in 1979 but the book I looked at didn't have good references for 1978. If you are looking at a specific bike look and the head badge number and that would be the most correct way to know. The catalogs were made long before the bikes so they are not 100% correct anyway. I will seel what else I can find. Roger

Last edited:
thanks for reasearching and looking...

I appreciate you looking into the newer spitfires and specifically the spitfire 5. I have a spitfire 5 black in color with a head badge build date of may 9 1979. I am curious if my spitfire 5 was a one year build (1979) or the spitfire 5 was built in 1977 and 1978. Thanks again for looking into it...John

There were Spitfire 5s made in late 1978 (Nov-Dec) but they were all called 1979 models. Schwinn did model change over in the Fall for the Xmas season so the kids that got new bikes for Xmas were getting the coming years model. If you want to find the rarest of this type of bike try to find a Klunker 5 which is what these bikes were originally called. They were changed to Spitfire because some other company owned the Klunker name. Roger

Thanks For the Info

Thanks Roger for taking the time to answer my question, much appreciated, keep the rubber side down!!!! John

question about spitfire 5

I have another question, is the spitfire 5 considered a heavyweight or middleweight? My bike serial number starts with CQ and has S-2 wheels with the atom rear brake. Would the bike having S-2 wheels designate it as a heavyweight? Thanks for any info you can pass along....John

I have a Klunker 5 and it is HEAVY! It should be classified as a heavyweight.lol

I have another question, is the spitfire 5 considered a heavyweight or middleweight? My bike serial number starts with CQ and has S-2 wheels with the atom rear brake. Would the bike having S-2 wheels designate it as a heavyweight? Thanks for any info you can pass along....John

The Spitfire 5 is a ballooner. No such thing as a heavyweight in Schwinns vocabulary and it was the general public, not the bike manufacturers that came up with the word heavyweight. Kind of like a carpenter being called a wood butcher. :D The weight of the bike has nothing to do with the classifications, it was the tire size. The old day Schwinn classifications were:

Lightweight
Middleweight
balloon

Thanks for the Info

Thanks for the information! I have never owned a schwinn balloon tire bike, only middleweights and lightweights....Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my thread....John

Back