When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

yet another Elgin to I.D.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jeep44

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up three old ballooners today, and one of them was what I think is an Elgin. The serial number under the crank is SF5676. No headbadge, so here's a few pics of it:
S6000628-1.jpg

S6000627-1.jpg

S6000630-1.jpg

Would this bike have originally had a tank?

This is a Murray built bike from around '39-42. That number is close to some elgin model #'s, but the 2nd digit is a 0. I didn't see a specific 5076 model, but there are 77, 78, and 79 models. Also, it could have been a Murray or Mercury badged bike.

Thanks! That '6' very well could be a '0'-the numbers aren't very clear.
I'm really impressed by how smooth and blended all the frame joints are, and the fenders with the taped 'fins' at the ends. It's a good-looking bike.

Thanks! That '6' very well could be a '0'-the numbers aren't very clear.
I'm really impressed by how smooth and blended all the frame joints are, and the fenders with the taped 'fins' at the ends. It's a good-looking bike.

The frame joints are a Murray trademark of the era, they got away from it postwar, and only Schwinn had similar flared joints after that.

I saw your bike in another thread, and noticed it was the same frame,too. Beautiful chrome job,too.

I've just been riding it around-I put a new tube in the front tire. I gave it a good oiling,and cleaned up the chrome as best as it would. I stripped all the paint off the Shelby frame, and I'll be priming it, and deciding how I want to paint it (or powder coat it). I took rubbing compound and polished up that girl's bike-it looks suprisingly good. My sister wants that bike, so it will be going west sooner or later. I'm thinking I'll go down to the Memory Lane show next month, and see what I can find .

Back