When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another Phantom thread. A '51 to be exact.

-

tacochris

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I don't post here a lot, or at all honestly because I just don't seem to find the time, but I get a lot of important info from here so thanks for that.

Ive been collecting prewar, post war balloon tire and pre-60's track bikes since my pops got me into em in the 1980's. My collection is pretty hefty, but the one bike I never landed and always wanted was a Schwinn Phantom.....Hell even in the 80's and 90's I never found one. Well my "luck" finally changed last week and you'll probably think Im nuts for taking on an incomplete Phantom, but to me, it had just enough parts to make me feel good. Lol
This is a 1951 Black Phantom and all the parts on it are original to it. Sad to say, as goes most of my project bikes, I have to source things. Im going to be sourcing (when I find em), only original finish parts....It has a locking fork with the original key still in it, which was a huge deal for me too!
Thread will be slow but here goes.

FBIR8172.JPG

.. Looks like great bones to start a KQQL old B' Phantom project ... congrats! ... ( looks like you don't mind a little chain grease on the white carpet ... lol) ...

.. Looks like great bones to start a KQQL old B' Phantom project ... congrats! ... ( looks like you don't mind a little chain grease on the white carpet ... lol) ...
Lol yeah....It was there for a few hours, luckily no grease. Lol!

I did mention this is gonna be a slow and steady rust-oration right? Lol.
Nice parts haul yesterday for the phantom project! May look like junk to most folks but with some Oxylic acid love, some scrubbing, straightening and paint blending this stuff is gonna be perfect. Headlight looks repainted so it’ll need correcting...
Front fender is a light respray over the chrome and some surface rust which all is coming off nicely! One stem is correct and one is for the hardware....
.....and the S2 double-knurled hoops deserve mention of course.

FF87B1FC-38F3-490C-84DE-16B2DE2E723D.jpeg

7BBD3963-7093-4C1C-BDAB-4B3C6C0114C8.jpeg

As hard as it is to admit, last night after looking things over I had to make the tough decision that the fenders I was so happy about, are not of an acceptable survivor caliber to grace the chassis of this beautiful bike. They are, however, going to be saved for my ratty green/green Ace Autocycle but back to the drawing board on fenders for the 51 phantom.

Such is the story with the patina bike game eh? Lol

I thought you guys might appreciate a slight peak of some progress on the 51.
In the picture, the 1951 black Phantom is all mocked up on the stand sitting above my 1955 Red Phantom. The rear fender is an old ratty repop judging by the braces going to the axle instead of to the rear of the frame. The front is a crusty original and the light housing is a black phantom housing brush painted red which I will remove in time. Wheels are ratty S2 doubles but I have a nicer set intended for the bike when it comes down to building it for riding. I know its not the ideal piecing together of such a killer original paint chassis, BUT, Im not rich so I do with what Im blessed with until better things come along.
If anyone has a ratty or semi-ratty black 4-hole rack they would like to do some horse trading on, please let me know because that is the last item i really need to feel good about this bad boy.
Too cool of a pic not to share....

phantoms.jpg

Back