When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another "please help me ID my bike" thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

NAES

'Lil Knee Scuffer
OK OK OK, I apologize in advance. I'm a newb to the early bike stuff but I did as much research online and in catalogs that I could and I'm coming up empty handed when trying to ID this JC Higgins.

The main thing is on the tank it has this extra detail piece below that I havn't seen in any pics that I've come across. Next is that the frame seems awfully short from seat tube to head tube at about 19 1/2" or so measured on the top tube. I thought for a second that it may be a boys bike but the wheels are 26".

Stampings on the BB read MOD 502-MOST 45500

She's missing the forks, front wheel, stem and bars but I'm on the hunt.

Here's a few pics to possibly help.

higgy004-1.jpg

higgy005-1.jpg

higgy006-1.jpg

higgy008-1.jpg

higgy009-1.jpg

Thanks in advance all, NAES

The number 4550 is the catalog # of a '49, but it has a different tank, rack, seat, and it's a skip tooth. There is a bike pictured in the 1954 catalog, which shows the same tank graphics, seat, rack, and chainring. It looks like a 24" bike in the pic, and says "For boys 7, 8, 9". There isn't a cat. # shown in my reprint. How close is that 26" tire to the frame braces? It might be a 24" when you figure there needs to be room for the fender. Also, the bike in the cat. has truss rods, and what looks like a Delta Winner headlight.

This appears to be a 1954 Model. If you have the Elgin/Higgins/Hawthorne book see the bottom of page 108. v/r Shawn

Thanks for the replies guys. There seems to be enough room for a fender back there but I havn't got one to fit yet so I'm not sure. Still, it seems a little on the small side so I'm leaning towards this being a boys bike still.

Oh well, it didn't kill me to get into it so if I need to flip it I should be allright.

Thanks again, NAES

Back