When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yo yo's

-

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Caber, buck hughes has 4 yo yo's for sale. Check them out. One is sterling silver. I have a couple myself, but was never good at them, but my wife is. Here's a yo yo story, that's related to bikes. I was at a old car cruise night one evening, a bunch of years back, showing several old bikes. This older fellow stops and starts telling me how when he was a kid, Duncan yo yo had a yo yo contest for the best kid with a yo yo in Chicago. He won it and got a new Schwinn, like one of the ones I had there that night. The guy was a little odd. I think he had some dementia, but I'd see him from time to time at the cruise [ I regularly attended it.] One day I'm reading this magazine and there's a photo of a boy who had won a brand new Schwinn in a yo yo contest, way back when. It was him! He came to my house and I gave it to him. I never saw him again after that. end of story.

When I was a kid, the Duncan Yo Yo man would come to our school for a demonstration.
Every kid got a Yo Yo to play with.
It seems odd now, that they did that for us, but I loved it at the time.
I remember being able to Walk the Dog and get it to Sleep.
Then I’d do an Around the World and practically knock the other kids out. Lol!
I had a glow in the dark Yo Yo.
It was probably made out of Radium or something.
Ahh!
The good ol 1960’s.
Now, just to finish on a Bicycle note,
We also had a magazine subscription drive.
Another odd thing for school kids to do, but, who ever sold the most subscriptions got a brand new Campus Green Schwinn Varsity.
Man, I wanted that thing bad!
But, I only sold enough subscriptions to win a giant Sugar Daddy Sucker.
We had an assembly, so that everybody could see who won the Schwinn Varsity.
It turned out to be my best friend at the time.
Needless to say, I was Campus Green with envy.
I guess my door to door salesmanship needed some fine tuning. Lol!

Last edited:
Back