When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You always remember your first time... 1916 Iver Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dasberger

I live for the CABE
Hello All-

I'm a new member embarking on my first project. I've posted a little more about myself and how I got here in the Antique Pre 1933 section under the post "New Member...Old Bike". I've had this project waiting in the wings for a while and once I stumbled upon The CABE I was inspired! Some really, really impressive work out there folks.

So here's what I'm working with:

1916 Iver Truss Frame Roadster in as found condition

First step was to get out the compressor and blow off decades worth of dust... Serious dust!

Then I did some Lexol on the seat and did an initial WD-40 and steel wool wipe down

Here are some before and afters:

Then I hit all the moving bits, bolts and nuts with Blaster and will do this a time or two again before I start wrenching on anything.... Any pointers on how to loosen rusted parts(what to or not to do) before I start greatly appreciated.

I'm surprised at how good the paint looks after just a few mins of light scrubbing. My next steps will be to start breaking the bike down so I can attack the rust and get everything re-lubed and moving again. I plan on taking off the non original parts which seem to be basket, chain guard and fenders... fenders are pretty beat up anyway. Anyone know anything about the chain guard?

I also know I will be needing some parts as I go along. So far I know I need a left crank arm (not sure if its a 6.5" or a 7" need to measure) Also missing a left pedal so will be looking for one or a pair.

Still undecided on the wheels whether I'm going to restore for show, try to restore to ride or buy a replacement set and leave originals as is... but I guess thats a post for another time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, tips or parts. More to come!

IMG_8891.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

That's a pretty nice first old bike! . :tongueout: i believe the chain guard was used on late 30s rollfast / hawthorne bikes. Maybe others as well but there are definitely folks looking for them. Fenders might be original and salvageable too but I'm no expert ;someone here will likely know. I would spray penetrating oil on every nut before taking a wrench to it. You may need someone who knows what they are doing to service and maybe straighten (true) the wheels unless you have experience with this. Decals are in great shape. Paint too. Congrats! Btw - 26 or 28 inch wheels?

Thanks! I'm excited about it. I'm going to set aside the parts as the come off and see what I'm working with. Will probably pass on non original parts to those that need them. The fenders could be saved they're not really that bad I'm just not skilled in shaping metal... As for the wheels they are wood 28's. They aren't actually that bad it's just the spokes I'm worried about. I will dive into that once I can get them free! Tomorrow more penetrating oil

Holy cow! What a beauty! You seem to be going about the correct way! Chainguard is an aftermarket piece and so is the basket. Wheels are always an issue with these old 28” bikes. Using the wood wheels (assuming they are and original) is kind of sketchy! The seams in the wood seperate over time. Inspect them closely. There are many ways to overcome this! New wood hoops or using metal clad hoops is about your best coarse. Finding the crank arm and pedal will be difficult! She needs to be on the road again! This is part of the fun! Good luck!

Hey Don!
Yeah she's a beauty alright. The wheels are painted black with no sign of pinstripes. Judging from the "alligator" checking of the paint I would guess they are original. Rear coaster is a Morrow haven't been able to get the front hub clean enough to identify. Bike was a wall hanger at an old TGI Fridays so assumably they tossed left crank so it would sit against the wall and also drove some screws into the wheels...nice. Guess that adds to the sketch factor. Hmm... set them aside as is or do I salvage the hubs and lace them to new wood? Decisions, decisions....

Hey Don!
Yeah she's a beauty alright. The wheels are painted black with no sign of pinstripes. Judging from the "alligator" checking of the paint I would guess they are original. Rear coaster is a Morrow haven't been able to get the front hub clean enough to identify. Bike was a wall hanger at an old TGI Fridays so assumably they tossed left crank so it would sit against the wall and also drove some screws into the wheels...nice. Guess that adds to the sketch factor. Hmm... set them aside as is or do I salvage the hubs and lace them to new wood? Decisions, decisions....
That bike came off a wall at tgi Friday's? o_O that is ridiculous. Did you buy it from the restaurant owner or something? That bike is phenomenal deserves more than that. Glad it was saved and good luck getting it back together.

Yeah about five years they were auctioning off all the "flair" on the walls of a location that had been around for years and my old man bought it along with a bunch of other great stuff... Its been sitting in our office ever since. I knew at some point I would get around to giving it some love so here I am. The site has already been immensely helpful. Such an amazing archive

You can date the Morrow hub by the numbers stamped on it. If the wheels are original, that would date the bike. The hub stamp is alpha-numeric, like d34 or something like that. Search the cabe for the coding, it is listed here several times!

Back