When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You always remember your first time... 1916 Iver Roadster

-
Looks Great! Road or special racer? Are those the CB Italia wheels? Amsterdam Electra tires? Leaning toward keeping originals as is and getting some vintage hubs to lace new wood to

1912 Special Racer. CB Italia "vintage" finish IIRC, and Linus tires. I wanted something with a smooth tread that would look era-appropriate and these were what I found. They were absolute hell to get onto the rims. I don't know if it was the tires or rims that made it difficult, but I don't recommend the combination. They ride well, though, if it gets a flat, I may just not ride it again instead of wrestling and swearing and throwing tire levers and swearing some more.

These bikes were really well made and the quality shows even over 100 years later. All up with the heavier modern wheels (and maybe the bag, I can't remember), it weighs about 28 lbs.

So I was finally able to get going on this one... I stripped the non original fenders, basket and chain guard as well as the old front tire that was hanging. All into a box to sort out later. Here's some pics and some of what I uncovered....

On the bench

Seat post marked Iver Johnson

Morrow rear...

Front Hub no marks. Maker? IJ?

That OG Green!

I thought the rims were black! Looks like American Wood Wheel Co. Color "H4"

Last week....

This Week!

I was able to get everything hubs spin freely, brake works, bottom bracket spins smooth although there is a little wobble in the chainring. After discovering the original pinstripes in the rims coupled with the screw holes in both front and rear I've decided to leave the wheels as is. Possibly get a set of display tires down the road and build a new set of wheels. Looking to do vintage hubs laced to new wood.

Fenders are pretty jacked so I'm going to leave them off until I can find someone to roll them or better yet find a set of early flat Iver fenders...

So parts I know I need:

6.5" IJ left crank arm and lock washer/nut

Left Pedal or a set

Set of Hubs... Pre date code Morrow rear coaster, IJ or similar to my original 36h

Let me know what you guys have laying around!

Last edited:
Now that the holidays are over I had a chance to keep working on the roadster....

Been gathering parts. Thanks to all the fellow CABERS who rummaged their parts bins and basements to help me out!

(Jeweled pedals for another project)

Look at that... A full crankset and two pedals!

Added an oval stamped B-17 not sure exactly how old it is but it's got the patina to match. The Mesinger that was on it wasn't original either so I figured I would throw it on for now. Troxel Moto bike #31 would have been regular equipment but some others were optional. (Not the brooks B-15 as it specifically states in the catalog) B-15 Was standard on the racers but some B-17's seem to have ended up on racers as well.

Leather wrapped Birch grips to match the Brooks. Was trying to find a pair of stubby leather bulldog grips but was only able to find an original pair that I don't think would hold up to riding. Would rather have a pair of repop if somebody has a pair.

So close! Now all I need to do is clean these bad boys and lace 'em to some new wood hoops! Decided to buy these keep original hoops and hubs for display... Pre date code Morrow rear the same as mine...

Finally found a correct set of early Iver flat fenders... and some other goodies. Took ta few pairs to get the right set! If anyone is looking for early Iver fenders I have a rough set of early flat as well as an early pair of rain gutters that came on the bike....pictures in the beginning of this thread.... PM if in need and I can send pics.

Fenders and Klaxon mounted. Still need a mounting bracket for the lamp if anyone has one and I guess a drop stand since I've got a clip. I think the Brooks looks pretty nice but would still love to get a Troxel on there. Little by little it's coming together... now on to new hoops!

Hey Don!
Yeah she's a beauty alright. The wheels are painted black with no sign of pinstripes. Judging from the "alligator" checking of the paint I would guess they are original. Rear coaster is a Morrow haven't been able to get the front hub clean enough to identify. Bike was a wall hanger at an old TGI Fridays so assumably they tossed left crank so it would sit against the wall and also drove some screws into the wheels...nice. Guess that adds to the sketch factor. Hmm... set them aside as is or do I salvage the hubs and lace them to new wood? Decisions, decisions....
You can laminate carbon fiber tape on the rims, for strength.

You can laminate carbon fiber tape on the rims, for strength.
Not a bad Idea. I gave them a good look today and they're pretty true. If i filled the screw holes and applied CF tape they would probably hold up. I think I'm still leaning towards leaving them as is for display and a pair of Stutzman's with clincher insert for riding

Not a bad Idea. I gave them a good look today and they're pretty true. If i filled the screw holes and applied CF tape they would probably hold up. I think I'm still leaning towards leaving them as is for display and a pair of Stutzman's with clincher insert for riding
You laminate the CF tape over the spoke holes and tube stem hole, then let cure and use a Dremel tool to cut spoke holes and fill stem hole through the CF.

Yeah that makes sense. I was talking about filling holes somebody put in rims when they hung the bike on the wall. Each wheel has multiple holes through the side from 3 1/2" deck screws

Back