When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You guys need to explain something to me.

• Thread starter gooseneck tore my sack
  • Start date
-
G

gooseneck tore my sack

Hi. I got a question for all you bike collectors. Before I get to the question, I will give some background.

I know nothing about collecting bikes. My new brother-in-law, who I think is a grade A A-hole, is into bikes and just will not shut the hell up about them. He has over thirty of these things and he treats them like their his freaking kids. I couldn't stand the guy before. But now it's on a whole other level. I mean, seriously, what is the purpose of having more than one? Why collect bikes? You can only ride one at a time. Do you guys seriously wake up in the morning and say, "I'm going to ride a mid 30's bike today 'cause that's the mood I'm in. Or do you say, "I'm going to ride my 1960's bike today? Peace, love, dope!!" Seriously, that's my question. And if you don't ride them, why not? This turd has bikes he never will ride cause he's afraid he will lower it's value if something happens. God bless my sister for putting up with this hobby. Could be worse I guess. But I've been looking at some of this stuff you guys post on here and I think it's a little juvenile. The comments, I mean. You guys take this way too seriously. It's a bike. Ride it. It = one. Not more than one. Give me some perspective.

I just don't get it. I'm not trying to get people upset, I just want to know what the lure is. My name is because a friend of mine, when we were kids, had an accident on a bike and did tear his sack. He didn't have one of those padded covers on his gooseneck. It's not like his testicles were rolling down the road. But that's what I thought of when I registered for this site. Maybe my question is coming off wrong because my putz brother in law turned me off from it all. He acts like a bike guru genius. But the thing is, I don't care. Some of them are cool looking, but when he starts talking about them and won't shut up about it, it turns me off. It's a bike. Not a grail found on a mountaintop. Maybe I need perspective because I can't believe someone would be like this about a bike. He looks at me like I'm stupid for not knowing about bikes and not caring. I hope all of you are not like this. And if some of you are, why? It's a bike.

I told my brother in law about a bike I saw on American Pickers. He just laughed and said that show was ruining the bike world. I don't care. I like the damn show! Why can't things just be what they are without being scrutinized and taken apart. It's a bike. ride it.

and yes, god bless my sister. She's amazing. I love her enough to not tell her how I really feel about her husband. Hopefully I can find some common ground with the guy. I'm not a collector of anything. Never felt the urge. Maybe it's just how I'm wired and I can't understand it. But this guy is a piece of work.

Back