When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You guys need to explain something to me.

• Thread starter gooseneck tore my sack
  • Start date
#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
maybe you just really don't like your b-i-l and you are taking your frustrations out on his hobby.

Man, a bwast fwom the past!!

Elmer_in_Rabbit_Fire_%281951%29.png

in a hobby where the average age is old enough to be worrying about heart disease and their prostates, this kind of cranky rant is to be expected.
it's why I love and hate the Cabe.

The other day my best buddy who doesn't own a bike said to me he now wants a bike to ride around town and could I help him out. Occasionally we bike to a local watering hole for a tipple, and since I own more bikes than brain cells I let him to ride one of my bikes. So, to say the least, I was very excited at the prospect of helping my buddy out, I even imagined I would get him a patina fixer and do it up for him and make it a head turner! I thought to myself is he a prewar guy? Maybe a post war Schwinn guy? I relished the thoughts swirling in my head and the opportunity I had before me to set up my pal with a ride! Our conversation continued, I said yes, I can find a bike and go through it and make it road worthy for you, it would be a pleasure! Then, my pal said "but not a bike like any of yours, just a beach cruiser, you know". KABOOM! I was crushed in an instant, I was dejected, I was floored! I know my friend was not trying to insult my taste, or that he didn't like any of my bikes, he just is not a bike person like so many of us here are. It took me a few minutes to realize that he means well, and he just wants a simple bike, but i have not given up all hope yet, my angle is there is no 'simple bike', or 'cheap bike', you pay one way or the other, quality is never out of style and is why our hobby has so much to choose from. These iron relics were made to last forever it seems, even the rust buckets don't go away, you can ride them too! There is a lot one can say about this bike affliction. but the best thing I can say is not words, it's fix it and ride it!

I'm in my mid 20s with a 5 figure bicycle collection being asked this all the time by my friends. They always say why I do this, why not sell them, why? Why? Why?

Presented in the simplest of terms....(Exhibit A) Because I can, because it brings me enjoyment, and because it's one way to diversify an investment...

Also, apply this to vintage cars and you're getting laughed at straight to your face the same way many are doing to you now over bicycles. I just visited a collection of 85 vintage cars, 30 plus vintage bicycles and various other form of petroliana. What's the point to having all that? See "Exhibit A" presented above...

The other day my best buddy who doesn't own a bike said to me he now wants a bike to ride around town and could I help him out. Occasionally we bike to a local watering hole for a tipple, and since I own more bikes than brain cells I let him to ride one of my bikes. So, to say the least, I was very excited at the prospect of helping my buddy out, I even imagined I would get him a patina fixer and do it up for him and make it a head turner! I thought to myself is he a prewar guy? Maybe a post war Schwinn guy? I relished the thoughts swirling in my head and the opportunity I had before me to set up my pal with a ride! Our conversation continued, I said yes, I can find a bike and go through it and make it road worthy for you, it would be a pleasure! Then, my pal said "but not a bike like any of yours, just a beach cruiser, you know". KABOOM! I was crushed in an instant, I was dejected, I was floored! I know my friend was not trying to insult my taste, or that he didn't like any of my bikes, he just is not a bike person like so many of us here are. It took me a few minutes to realize that he means well, and he just wants a simple bike, but i have not given up all hope yet, my angle is there is no 'simple bike', or 'cheap bike', you pay one way or the other, quality is never out of style and is why our hobby has so much to choose from. These iron relics were made to last forever it seems, even the rust buckets don't go away, you can ride them too! There is a lot one can say about this bike affliction. but the best thing I can say is not words, it's fix it and ride it!

I had a similar situation with a girl friend.
For her birthday I gave her a ladies 50's balloon bike. She loved it but hardly rode it. Kept it outside in all kinds of weather and
was starting to rust.
I believe if I had given her a "wally- mart"
cruiser, she would have loved it just the
same and I wouldn't have minded if she
kept it outside.

Back