When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You guys need to explain something to me.

• Thread starter gooseneck tore my sack
  • Start date
#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Life is too fragile and too short that one should do whatever one enjoys the most because you never know if today it's gonna be your last day. If you like to collect stamps, cool! If you like to collect bugs, that's Ok, If you collect bicycles, that's fine too. But remember, nothing you're gonna take with you when you die, so enjoy it while you're alive.

Not to repeat but why collect anything? Because it's fun! A level playing field within your own financial constraints! I don't do it to one up someone I do it for the rush. I love the feeling of taking an overpaint or crusty bike and "bring" it back. I love the comradery of most in the hobby.
There are some silly heads(I may be one) but for the most part some really good wholesome people. Made several lifelong friends and hope to make more.
I love that it is a hobby that and I can do with my wife. Riding them is a bonus! What fun, what therapy what a blast.
But if you question it, go collect something else. Please. More for me.
I don't keep all I find. Keep the ones that float my boat until they don't. My tastes have changed several times in 5 years. Regardless of the type or period of the bike it's fun to take them and make them your own.
And level playing field because you never know when or where the next cool bike will show up.
They are out there. Hunt em boys( and girls) and have fun!
IMG_2337.JPG

My name is Sped Man, I have an addiction to bicycle. I am not afraid to admit it. I own more than one. I go once a month to see others who have my problem. We meet behind churches, school parking lots, and even in parks. We exchange photos of our bikes with other members. We have been known to even sell parts and bikes with other of our kind. I know this is a serious condition but not a fatal one. I along with my fellow brothers feel your pain. One has to remember that there are far worse addictions (drugs, sex, gambling, and older women) that can destroy a person's life. I find myself at times torn between which ride to ride. The good news is no matter which ride I chose I will be riding a unique ride. That is what really matters in the end. No one wants a bike that blends in. I am a rebel! We stick out! Can I get an Amen here? :cool:
AMEN!!!!

I just recently joined CABE, and happened on the forum AND this discussion by accident. First, my opinion is I think the OP ought to list a name, location, etc.
It's an interesting topic.
I'm Gary, wife and I (age 66 & 65) live in central Va. on a small farm.
We've loved bikes for 60+ years. It was a way to visit friends, especially farther away, and work (paper route).
Lots of people collect things. My brother it's stamps and coins, parents collected antique clocks, personally I love anything mechanical.
A bicycle is a combination of mechanics+art+exercise. We have 60+ years of memories and experiences.
I still have my Schwinn Le Tour I bought in the early 70s. I rode triathlons back then. In the mid 70s while riding to visit my now wife I was going about 35+ when a truck cut me off, I had no helmet, reaction was to slam on brakes and I catapulted into pavement...head hit first.
I immediately bled out my eyes, mouth, nose, ears...rushed to hospital...family told I wasn't expected to live...massive concussion.
But, I made it. It wasn't the bikes fault (even the truck driver wasn't charged!).
Bottom line, the OPs brother in law collects bikes. They happen to be larger than stamps or coins. He's harming no one. He's not (I assume) going to bars, running with women, he has a harmless (and valuable) hobby.
Why not tell him politely it's not your interest but as long as it doesn't interfere with your sister's life...he's right there at home, they have food and home it's completely harmless.
I should be so lucky to have a brother in law like that.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

I just recently joined CABE, and happened on the forum AND this discussion by accident. First, my opinion is I think the OP ought to list a name, location, etc.
It's an interesting topic.
I'm Gary, wife and I (age 66 & 65) live in central Va. on a small farm.
We've loved bikes for 60+ years. It was a way to visit friends, especially farther away, and work (paper route).
Lots of people collect things. My brother it's stamps and coins, parents collected antique clocks, personally I love anything mechanical.
A bicycle is a combination of mechanics+art+exercise. We have 60+ years of memories and experiences.
I still have my Schwinn Le Tour I bought in the early 70s. I rode triathlons back then. In the mid 70s while riding to visit my now wife I was going about 35+ when a truck cut me off, I had no helmet, reaction was to slam on brakes and I catapulted into pavement...head hit first.
I immediately bled out my eyes, mouth, nose, ears...rushed to hospital...family told I wasn't expected to live...massive concussion.
But, I made it. It wasn't the bikes fault (even the truck driver wasn't charged!).
Bottom line, the OPs brother in law collects bikes. They happen to be larger than stamps or coins. He's harming no one. He's not (I assume) going to bars, running with women, he has a harmless (and valuable) hobby.
Why not tell him politely it's not your interest but as long as it doesn't interfere with your sister's life...he's right there at home, they have food and home it's completely harmless.
I should be so lucky to have a brother in law like that.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
I have been waiting since 2012 when this was posted to say this.... Take that Gooseneck !

Last edited:
Back