When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You guys need to explain something to me.

• Thread starter gooseneck tore my sack
  • Start date
-
I’ll give you kudos for sticking your head into the bee’s nest to see how the honey is made! Trying to understand a collector’s addiction, is like trying to make sense of ODC - obsessive compulsive disorder. The person with the obsession appears to be normal on the outside but their actions are completely weird and irrational to those that are not familiar to their addiction! My word of advice, avoid your brother-in-law when he’s raving about his passion...step out of the room! It’s like interacting with a religious zealot trying to convince you their belief is the only truth and because you don’t have the same view you’re not worthy to exist! But who knows, hang around this site long enough and it's possible you just may find the faith :)

Wow. I step out for dinner at Applebee's (I love their bacon cheeseburger sliders) and come back to this huge response. Well I guess my question was answered. Like I said, I don't collect anything. I never have. that's just how I am wired. If he was a collector of Pez dispensors, I'd be over on their site, if they have one, asking them the same damn thing. I don't rock the boat too much with my brother in law, because he makes my sister happy. The guy didn't marry me. But doesn't mean I have to like him! Sounds like bike collecting is an outlet for many of you. Maybe it's an outlet for him. But he doesn't have to be a jerk about it to those who aren't into it. I've never understood people who are snobby in any way. The world doesn't need that. Well thanks to all of you who chimed in. I think I get it now. No, I don't have a bike. I would never ask him if I could ride one of his. He's never even offered, cause they are too precious to him. That I just don't understand and never will. I will have to go google the bluebird thing. I'm assuming it's a bike that people want. Or it's rare. I like the idea of messing with his head. I think I will check out this forum sometimes. It's good to hear something from bike people that didn't make me look like a total idiot. And if I need to change my name, I will. I just remembered my friend's accident and that's all that came to mind. Thanks.

I just don't get it. I'm not trying to get people upset, I just want to know what the lure is. My name is because a friend of mine, when we were kids, had an accident on a bike and did tear his sack. He didn't have one of those padded covers on his gooseneck. It's not like his testicles were rolling down the road. But that's what I thought of when I registered for this site. Maybe my question is coming off wrong because my putz brother in law turned me off from it all. He acts like a bike guru genius. But the thing is, I don't care. Some of them are cool looking, but when he starts talking about them and won't shut up about it, it turns me off. It's a bike. Not a grail found on a mountaintop. Maybe I need perspective because I can't believe someone would be like this about a bike. He looks at me like I'm stupid for not knowing about bikes and not caring. I hope all of you are not like this. And if some of you are, why? It's a bike.

I told my brother in law about a bike I saw on American Pickers. He just laughed and said that show was ruining the bike world. I don't care. I like the damn show! Why can't things just be what they are without being scrutinized and taken apart. It's a bike. ride it.

Maybe you need to pick up a hobby so you don't have to waste your time ridiculing others hobbies. It's simple, its called a passion, maybe you need to go find something you're passionate about and you will understand. Scott, please remove this guy from the site, he's wasting our time.

And here it comes. Someone telling me that I need passion and a hobby. And to kick me off here because I'm wasting everyone's time. I simply came on here to try and understand. I did not ridicule anyone, other than my brother in law. I was not ridiculing your hobby. I was seeking understanding about it and about why my brother in law is the way he is about his bikes. I have passion in my life. But I don't think having passion for something gives you a license to become a snob about it and definitely don't think it is a license for censorship. If I should ever decide to buy an old bike to ride, I will ride it and probably have a lot of fun. I always liked riding when I was a kid, and it fell by the wayside when I got a car. But I definitely won't come back on here to share the bike on here because someone will probably tell me my bike is junk and not special at all. I guess my brother in law isn't alone in his thinking about the way things are supposed to be. We all have thoughts about how things are supposed to be. Didn't realize collectors of things were also given approval and support to think they were better than others.

I am not better than anyone. Just wanted to understand. Now I do. Have a nice day. I won't bother you or your oh so special bikes anymore. And to all of you that offered your opinions and support to help me understand, a great big thank you. It is appreciated.

Gooseneck you shouldn't feel that way. You should try to understand that some people do take it personally when someone posts what an idiot he thinks his brother-in-law is because he collects bicycles. It was bound to ruffle a few feathers.
I collect girls bicycles which are viewed by many in the hobby as being mostly worthless and only good for parts. Do you think I honestly care about that? Nope.
I took a 1964 Huffy Galaxie that most woud not even give a second glance at and customized it. She's not a restoration but she sure is pretty now and I have ridden her. The same holds true for a 1953 CCM..again cusotmized and beautiful in my eyes and VERY rideable.
There are all kinds of collectors.. some are purists and some are not. That holds true in every hobby though.
You might like it if you found a nice old frame and brought it back to life to ride it. You can just do it for the fun of it and to ride something older than you.
Come to the dark side Luke. We're waiting. :D

Back