When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You guys need to explain something to me.

• Thread starter gooseneck tore my sack
  • Start date
#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
OK heres my .02 on american pickers

Im glad you enjoy pickers. I like watching pickers. It makes me happy and feeds the addiction. Your BIL feels compelled to say he hates american pickers because it makes him an automatic authority on bikes because "he knows something you dont know."

Its just like every coffee freak you meet, the first thing they are compelled to say is "Starbucks has the WORST coffee. They burn the beans blah blah blah...." And youre supposed to be like "wow, he must be an authority on coffee". Well, I LOVE coffee AND I like starbucks. It tastes good, feeds my addiction, and makes me happy. Not to open up a whole dialog on AP (or starbucks for that matter!) but, thats why he says things like that. :)

As long as I can remember, I have always collected something from sitting on the carpet floor trading baseball cards, to comics, vinyl records, and now bicycles...it is hard for me to imagine a life without these pursuits.
Maybe it's a choice, maybe pathological, but there definitely is enjoyment from collecting and it is much more fun than stuffing money under a mattress or squandering it elsewhere.
It sounds as though your brother in law has his priorites out of whack and it very well could have been from something else... career, substance abuse, etc...
If you aren't "wired" for collecting there really aren't any words to explain it to you.
Chris

I'm sorry I can't resist any longer but its like the saying on one of my 185 or so Harley Davidson T-shirts "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand". v/r Shawn

Reactions: REC
After talking to one of this poor girls relatives, I'm a bit surprised no one pointed out that it would be no surprise she picked out a douche bag, it's probably what she knows. My guess however is that the bike collector guy is actually a decent guy who has a life and the sister is excited by this unforeseen turn of events and has taken her opportunity to escape her family, especially this particular member.

why why why

it is just something we do to some of us it's an addiction. like the guy said earlier in the post Just fudge with the guy get a bad ass bike tell him you found it in a barn and your going to sell it for 20 bucks to some one on THE CABE watch him flip out and enjoy riding a badass bike for a day. Or just kick his ass either one make sure you video tape and post for us...

good luck bro and by the way i can ride 5 bikes at time...sorry to hear about your freinds sack OUCH

Geez. You guys are like a pack of wolves. Did anyone read my posts? Most of you had nice responses. But I never said he was an idiot for collecting bikes. I was just trying to see why he felt why his bikes were so precious. I said some looked cool. But he talked so much about them, it took away from how cool they were. My sister said he goes overboard with it. He's like a hoarder. But she takes the good with the bad. But some of your responses were condescending. I never said I collected pez dispensors. someone said that I said I did. I never said that. Do you guys even read? I didn't say you collectors were juvenile. I said some of the comments I've seen on here seem juvenile. You say there is no drama on this site. Well just by reading the responses to my question, I can see there is different trains of thought regarding this bike collecting. different trains of thought leads to drama. Fleetwood, you were very condescending. I am a good brother. always supported my sister. She's not escaping anything. I am not jealous of my brother in law. at all. I just wanted to know why his attitude is the way it is. And it's a specific attitude he has about his bikes. I see some of you share the same attitude as him. I can tell. Must feel good to make others feel stupid.

Dude, I'm just going on the tone of your first post. if you handle stuff you know nothing about like this then I would say you're a jerk. if you want to come here and ask a civil question then maybe I'll be civil.
first lets start with the title of your post:
"You guys need to explain something to me."
umm...no, I don't! if you were to have asked nicely I would have been glad to, but I certainly don't need to explain or justify anything to you when you start with that tone!

Now lets go into the text of your first post:
"Hi. I got a question for all you bike collectors. Before I get to the question, I will give some background.

I know nothing about collecting bikes. My new brother-in-law, who I think is a grade A A-hole, is into bikes and just will not shut the hell up about them. He has over thirty of these things and he treats them like their his freaking kids. I couldn't stand the guy before. But now it's on a whole other level. I mean, seriously, what is the purpose of having more than one? Why collect bikes? You can only ride one at a time. Do you guys seriously wake up in the morning and say, "I'm going to ride a mid 30's bike today 'cause that's the mood I'm in. Or do you say, "I'm going to ride my 1960's bike today? Peace, love, dope!!" Seriously, that's my question. And if you don't ride them, why not? This turd has bikes he never will ride cause he's afraid he will lower it's value if something happens. God bless my sister for putting up with this hobby. Could be worse I guess. But I've been looking at some of this stuff you guys post on here and I think it's a little juvenile. The comments, I mean. You guys take this way too seriously. It's a bike. Ride it. It = one. Not more than one. Give me some perspective."

first thing, we don't know you or your brother in law, how do we know if he's not a nice guy and you're the "A-hole"? you certainly came here loaded for bear. as for him talking about something he enjoys, I don't see anything wrong with that, I'm sure if truth be told, you have something you like to talk about, in fact something you like to carp about so much you went through the trouble of joining a forum for something you don't like, and harping on this subject to complete strangers! then you attack anyone who is stupid enough to have more than one of the things he loves. do you have more than one shirt? why? I like to ride more than one bike and often take one of several to any number of rides and events. also it's nice if I have a few in case someone visits and we want to go for a ride. and what do you mean about "Peace, love, dope!!"? I'm not a hippie and don't smoke dope! and why is someone a "Turd" if they collect things and have them in a good enough condition that to preserve them he doesn't take them out and risk having an idiot like you who thinks they're crap do damage because you have no respect for others feelings or property? and what does this mean? " God bless my sister for putting up with this hobby. Could be worse I guess." and "I've been looking at some of this stuff you guys post on here and I think it's a little juvenile" I'm in this hobby! so don't start calling me rude, you came here and insulted me and my friends and called me juvenile. you are truly a jerk off and your sister would be better off the farther she gets from you!

P.S. why don't you go find a forum for kicking elderly people, or beating up on handicapped children, or something else that makes you happy???

Last edited:
What! One Bike!! Its like golf.Did you ever try playing with just one club??

Back