When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your dream workshop design

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't know about size, but my dream workshop would come with the free time neccessary to work on bikes!!!!

Dream Shop

Primarily a wood shop but doubles as my bicycle shop.

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2468.jpg
    IMG_2468.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 73
12x20....big enough I hope

This thread petered out and I still need sugestions on the ideal / user friendly bicycle workshop layout.:(

I have moved the 10x13 metal shed (hit my head every time I go in and out of this dang thing:mad:) to the forward end of the yard.

Hired someone to construct my new one. A spacious (at least it's bigger than what I have now) 12x20 single floor shop. 7' walls.
Barn style roof so I can have a little overhead storage.
Two 3' wide barn swing doors with 38" windows on each side of the doors.
A rear entry door out the back with a 9 lite paneled glass (facing the lake and alot of the natural sunlight). Another window on that back wall. Hope to construct a paint booth later on, off this wall.
No windows on the opposite wall of the barn doors. Just knowsy neighbors over there anyway:rolleyes:.
And a small window facing the house, so I can see the wife or visitors coming in the yard. The wife is always sneaking up on me:confused:

Need to figure the ideal workbench and tool storage. The back wall will house the showroom and the project bikes will fill some of the non door side long wall.
Add electric ($$$$$ not looking forward to that cost). Lots of lights and a heater of some kind. The A/C unit should fit in one of the windows.
Oh and the cable TV hookup.:eek:
I will post pics as the construction moves forward.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Enjoy the build.

The new location for the old head damaging shed
4e7a3eba-1.jpg

The old is gone and the new is moving in
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Starting to take form

Wow this roof is taller than I imagined.
Lots of overhead space in this new construction. Not that anyone cares....wawawa.
Hell, I know I'm excited. Can't wait for the composite wallboards to get hung and the windows and doors installed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Boy JD, it looks like you could hang at least 30 bikes in the loft. Build in a hoist and make your life easy. That sure looks like it will work well for you (for a while at least).

Hoist....hmmmm
More room for sure but, the way things are going, it will fill up quick. I actually got another Huffy today that the wife says we need to keep for her to ride....hotdiggitydog, maybe she's coming around....then again maybe not quite yet. But she likes this one.

attachment.php

I understand that this is outside of your allowable square footage, but posting what I have that works. It is a 24x30 pole barn (720 sq. ft.), fully finished inside. It is double insulated with an insulating material called "Double Bubble". I purchased it with my pole barn kit from a place here locally called Kidd Fiberglass (www.kiddfiberglass.com, 11741 US Hwy 431, Utica, KY, 42376, (270)733-4004). The insulation is like bubble wrap I use for shipping but different and is installed like Tyvek house wrap. It is a 3 layer (all in one) poly insulation that comes in a roll. The insulating material is about 1/4" thick. Between the outer layers (face side and back side, if I may call them so) and the center layer there are tons of tiny bubbles filled with air. A single layer gives you R-3. When I was building my pole barn, I applied a single layer of Double Bubble on the outside of the framework (between the outside of the structure and the metal). This application technique also provides the benefit of a vapor barrier for condensation, due to the outside of the building being metal (metal DOES sweat). When I started finishing out the inside, I framed it up like the inside of a house (16"-24" studs and trusses). Typically, pole barns are built with 4x4 and 4x6 posts and trusses set on 5 foot center (economical means to an end). I framed up between posts and trusses at 24" center, because I didn't need the added material for structural support just a way to anchor materials. I applied an additional layer of Double Bubble on the interior walls and the ceiling. This brought me up to R-6. The beauty of it all is: R-3 outside, R-3 inside and a 4" vapor barrier between the two (due to the width of the studs) gets me R-12 minimum and my building breathes. No sweat, no mold (at a fraction of the cost of fiberglass insulation). I have a floored attic, 30' L, 6' W, 4' H (to store stuff/parts), with pull down stairs. I finished out the inside with 7/16" OSB plywood, 200 Amp electrical panel, 15 KW mobile home heater, 60 gallon air compressor, tons of cabinets and counter space and (7) 8' florescent fixtures. I have space for all of my bikes, parts and etc., plus room to work on my vehicles, as needed. It fits my bill, Andy.

Speaking of bills, what do you figure the total bill on that was?

Going Good

Hey JD. Looks like things are progressing quickly. I believe you are going to wind up with a really nice building. Appears to be well built. Congrats on your building.

It's coming along. They started early this morning between rain showers and here is the progress as of 10am

Designing the 40" workbench today. Windows installed etc....
I added the TyVek type insulation to the job and hoping the added insulation will keep the shop a bit warmer during the winter cold months.
Seam taping the foam backing to the plywood has presented a challenge for good adhession. decided to go with duct tape and it's not sticking either to the plywood....arggg. Probably will resort to chaulking the seams from the inside. Thought it would be an easy application. The TyVek seam tape is like $16 a roll....what??

qesy5uju-1.jpg

jy4y9umy-1.jpg

Back