When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Favorite

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That ain't no Skil Saw, that's a Makita circular saw. ;) Those arbor drive saws are made for left handers and they are truly dangerous with a bad habit of kicking back or binding. ;)
You got that right Gary. Back when I was a young apprentice carpenter an old timer gave me some very good advice,"Never let your fingers leave your hand".:(

How about this one. This is much more fun to operate.

IMG_4682.jpg

How about this one. This is much more fun to operate.

View attachment 225818

Now that is a manly tool! Earlier this spring I was at a friends house looking at his old barn, marveling at it's post and beam construction . All the floor joists were mortised into a large beam in the center of the barn to support the 2nd floor.The more I looked , the more amazed I was knowing the work it must have took to do this work so precise over 100 years ago........with only hand tools!

I'm more impressed with that lumber! You can't find stuff like that here in Arizona since all our small time mills closed down up north.

Last edited:
I'm more impressed with that lumber! You can't stuff like that here in Arizona since all our small time mills closed down up north.

Its getting harder here too. Timber frame isn't found in the code books, so the inspectors are baffled. They are starting to require graded lumber with stamps. The engineers all want metal brackets and lags, which is not true timber framing. The days of knowledge are waning. The information is out there, just in different books. There are timber frame structures that have stood for hundreds of years, long before inspectors and lumber stamps.

That's really something bike. I have been a carpenter since 69 and never built anything with timber framing.Gosh that looks like fun! Nice job. What is that building going to be? Looks like a great place to work too.:)

Its going to be a small home. A client I work for bought a piece of river front property with a old camp on it, he was allowed to tear it down and build something new as long as it was within the same foot print. Kind of an odd size the bottom is 12 x 40, the second story is 16x40. I've done quite a few of them at this point. I've been fortunate, I started doing carpentry with this kind of stuff in the 80's.

Back