When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your mission if you choose to except it... Mead details and year.

-

DJF

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have an honest barn find that I pulled out of some rafters this very night, will go back for the broken wood rims (non-clad) tomorrow that are in very poor shape but rear axle is still there.

Please help with year and better identification.
What we know.
This is a Mead Crusader
It has a two piece crank with sprocket being able to be removed by 4 bolts.
Unknown make saddle but is a gents racer.
Unknown make pedal but is also race style.
Tall frame with 5" between top and bottom bars.
Rear, frame and forks are rolled tubing.
The forks have interesting tips that have been slid into the fork and press riveted.
? type of bottom end that has two bolts to adjust, I don't know much about this type, but would like to know more.
Frame is factory shaved in rear and forks.
Tubes are slightly larger than normal.
Factory British racing green with some type of fancy filigree decals under top bar on seat tube and front down tube that are still visible.

All can be determined in the photos here.

PLEASE help me with any information as to what specifically this is as I am wanting to restore it.
DSC05140.JPG
DSC05128.JPG
DSC05124.JPG
DSC05131.JPG
DSC05137.JPG
View attachment 754706

DSC05141.JPG

Last edited:
Assuming the bike was actually Mead badged to start with how early was this particular badge used? It looks too late for the frame IMO.

The word you are looking for is "accept" not "except".

The spelling is meant to be that way, part of the joke as I cant find any information on this frame except later models. I have never seen this bottom before on a Mead, but have never seen "the early" models, nor the catalogs.

Hey I am just working with what info I got, happy to tell anyone what I have but I don't know.
I figured someone could identify the crank and graphics as they are original and a better question is why couldn't someone do that?

Under head badge is nothing but more green paint and a worn outline of the badge that I took off.

I have found a blog where a gentleman has a Mead Amazon girls bike and it has the same weird seat-post with the large turn nut and sleave, and have not found that on any other bike so far.... so your next guess?

The Amazon can be seen in this post and as you go down the pictures look at the filigree under the seat stay, and the seat-post set up is the same as my bike.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1900-mead-amazon-special.97664/

If it is a Racycle Frame please post a possible item like it.

I don't know what it is but I like it. Sorry, I can't help you out with identifying it.
But I don't think it is a Mead. I've never seen a Mead with a split bottom bracket or tensioners like that.
JKent

And the rivets on that head badge look new.

Head badge was held on by two small brass screws.

I was basing the possibility of it being a mead on the seat stay as I only know of the Mead having that weird setup. If someone knows of another that had it please speak up.

Back