When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinion please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Can anyone give me their opinion on the accurateness of this video? I'm getting ready to re-lace some S-2 rims and would like to know if this video is something I could use for a guide.

Thanks,
Ed

It worked for me when I re-laced the wheels on my wife's Monark. I believe Schwinn used a 4 cross pattern. I will let someone more experienced than me confirm that however.

I understand that the video show a 3 cross lacing. Is the 3 cross okay for a 52 Hornet?

Schwinn used the same length spokes on the 26" S-2 rims and S-7 rims. The S-2's were four cross and the S-7's were three cross.

Last edited:
Bringing everyone up to date. The video is a good basic lesson on lacing a wheel. However, when I did my S7 rims, I found that the first spoke hole to the left of the valve stem hole was on the other side of the wheel as shown in the video, in order to compensate for that, I started on the right side and worked clockwise rather than counter clockwise. It worked out fine.
I did figure out that the front wheel takes 10-5/8" long spokes, but the rear, at least for a coaster brake, takes a 10-1/2" spoke.

Here's a picture of the relaced S-7 front wheel.

20171125_190616.jpg

I've now relaced a front S-2 rim. The video once again gives you some basic theory, but when I relaced the S-2 rim. I started as I did on the S-7, going counter clockwise. Looking at an original wheel, I then fitted the crossing spokes by duplicating what was on tbe original wheel. This gave me a four cross lace. I did it as the original wheel was laced which meant that all of the crosses went under rather than the over, over, over, under pattern. Not as strong, but the bike is not subjected to the abuse it might get if I were a kid riding it every day. The spoke length for both the front and rear wheels is 10-5/8" for both the front and rear S-2 wheels.

Here's a picture of the relaced S-2 wheel.

20180105_145814.jpg

This is best done with good tunes during Miller Time.

Good to see it worked out for you! I built 26 inch S-2 wheels with Workman front drum hubs with 10.5 inch length 11gauge spokes with 4 cross pattern. Turned out nice heavy duty wheels.

Back