When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YOUR Thoughts On Customizing & Restoring Wanted !!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Old Man Wolf

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hey Guys!

(This is a tad long - so you might want to grab a fresh drink before reading! :D )

We were away from the site for several months dealing with distractions like having to buy a new computer and having to buy a new/old van...
... and while we were away - I was doing alot of "soul searching" about our bike collection and our current restoration & custom build plans.

Before I go any further - let me share MY understanding (as an ex-hot rodder & custom Harley guy) of a few terms so we're on the same page for what I'm trying to express here...

Original = Just that - original the way it came from the factory with all original parts & original paint.

Restored = Reconditioned to appear as new. (even if painted in non-original colors as the peice is well preserved and can be repainted original colors later if desired)

Resto-Mod = Primarily reconditioned as a "Restored Original" - but may have un-original bolt-on parts applied and non-original color combinations. (nothing cut or welded though - simply unbolt non-original parts and replace with original parts & possibly repaint original colors to return to "Correct/Restored" status)

Modified Custom = Cut or welded beyond returning to restoration quality without major preservation efforts.

Now let me say this up front - I AM NOT here to upset or p.o. ANY collectors or restorer's among the members of The CABE!!!

I'm here trying to have a little fun in the bicycle hobby enjoying all 3 - Restorations, Resto-Mods AND Modified Customs...
... as well as learning more about Antique Bikes in general and possibly making a few new friends along the way!!!

The part I've been struggling with is simple.
I KNOW as a collector in other hobbies that nice original to mildly "patina'd" original equipment is getting harder and harder to find every year!
I can easily understand why nicer peices probably shouldn't be parted out or cut up to make modified customs out of.
I've been guilty of doing this in the past if an item was "cheap enough" and it's a mistake I DO NOT plan on making again!!!

Here's an example I did in the semi-recent past...
Some of you may remember I was working on a "his & hers" pair of Modified Custom SpaceLiner Trikes.

TestRide 2.JPG

TestRide 4.JPG

I built the "converted" Men's trike first out of an Original Ladies' bike we bought sooooo cheaply I didn't think anybody would care...
... but I never ended up building the matching Ladies' Trike as we decided to go with even older bikes we liked better - and we ended up selling our entire SpaceLiner collection including the Custom Trike.
(We still have leftover racks & parts to sell eventually but that's a different story).

Looking back on that whole experience my regret is that I didn't build that trike out of a "parts pile" or a much rougher condition bike as a starting point.

Even though we got the base starting bike cheaply enough - it was still a very nice condition "standard painted" version that probably would have made a true collector proud to own...
... and looking back I feel guilty for cutting & welding it up like I did.

Now that I'm starting to look at our current bikes and projects again - I'm TRYING to take a better approach to a couple Modified Custom bikes we'd still like to build.

Instead of using "collector quality" bikes as a starting point...
... I've decided to collect "parts piles" of loose parts other people already parted out or parts that aren't necessarily in the best of shape to begin with.

Here's an example in our current collection...
Some of you may remember we picked up this 1949 (?) JC Higgins Men's from Bri-In-RI here on The CABE...

'49 JC Higgins Mens.jpg

Truth be told - even though it was a "nice patina'd original" in collectable condition...
... I liked it enough that I bought it with the intent to build a Modified Custom and was simply going to sell the leftover original parts we weren't going to use in the build.

After doing the "soul searching" I mentioned above - I simply Cannot let myself cut up, weld and part out this bike!!!

This is also why we posted the wanted ad for a Men's JC Higgins bare frame recently.

I already bought a loose tank and some loose fenders, ect...
... and now plan to build that custom out of a "parts pile" instead of ruining a nice bike!!!

In the long run we'll probably end up offering the maroon bike shown here for sale as we have no current plans for a "his & hers" pair of Originals or Restored bikes in this style.

(I Would however consider keeping a "his & hers" pair of these IF someone were to see this and email us about a peaked fender/beehive springer Ladies' version for sale at the right price???!!! :confused: )

Here's the matching example we bought for the Ladies' version of the "his & hers" Modified Custom pair we plan to build - a "parts pile" right from the beginning...

Pile 1.JPG

Now I would Certainly Hope nobody would get mad at us for building Resto-Mods OR Modified Customs out of a "parts pile" like that...
... However THAT is just what I want to ask you guys trying to follow my point here!!!

AM I just going to make some of you Collector's & Restorer's mad & p.o.'ed for cutting up or welding on a "parts pile" like this???

The bottom line is (and in the long run) I could be just as happy building Modified Customs out of custom frames available on Ebay or other bike parts stores...
... so even "parts piles" like pictured above CAN still be "Restored" by any of you guys that would rather save them even in this condition???!!!

Again, I'm not here to get anybody upset or p.o.'ed for the Customs I want to build!

We DO have other bikes we plan to "Restore" and "Resto-Mod" for Wendy, my Daughters & myself...

'40's Ladies JC Higgins 1.JPG

2014-02-2116.33.18.jpg

Parts Pile.JPG

... so I HOPE to make some friends with you guys and Hopefully get some leads on the bikes and parts for those Restorations here on the website too!!!

(We do have some wanted ads for both bikes we want to Restore as well as parts we need for Custom Projects that we've received no responses at all from)

I Certainly Hope you'll take the time to reply with YOUR thoughts on any of this before I go any further with our current plans & projects!!!

You are welcome to reply right here on this thread...
... OR you can email direct to [email protected]

Talk Soon!
Blessings!
Will & Wendy,

Although you will probably regret it, I appreciate you asking for input...for me, I am glad you have done some soul searching, in my opinion, there are many, many really crusty bikes out there that would never be restored and are more worthy of living on as your customs. Hopefully the posts will not be too rude that follow...

Although you will probably regret it, I appreciate you asking for input...for me, I am glad you have done some soul searching, in my opinion, there are many, many really crusty bikes out there that would never be restored and are more worthy of living on as your customs. Hopefully the posts will not be too rude that follow...

Seconded! I hope it works out for you. I asked for ugly, rusty, dumpster bikes to turn into smooth rolling, ugly bikes for people who don't like modern bikes. The response was similar. I did get a nice flightliner, though.

That Spaceliner trike is very cool, and you probably did the hobby a favor by taking another of these very common bikes out of circulation... That said, the custom/ratrod trend that is popular now is a passing fad like many others that have come and gone. Have you seen a lowrider lately? People were cutting up good Schwinns to build them and sinking thousands into them a few years ago. You see these trends in car and motorcycle circles too. Buy up all those stock Japanese motorcycle parts that people are throwing away to build Bobbers...

If you want to collect antiques of any kind, the very best originals will always be the most desirable.

My thoughts are from the real world, customize and ride the non museum pieces. If it is of historical significance restore it or pass it to someone who will!
Remember, if you ride it, it can break, or worse, be stolen.

old antiques=old bikes?

My '83 murray Monterey, and two mid/late 70's western flyers don't qualify for antique or collectible. I love them, even with two being spray paint jobs. One's original paint that I'm going to shine up, but even then no one would really want to collect it.

Will, do what makes you happy. It's your hobby. The bikes in your examples are everyday stuff, paint it, cut, part it, bury it, no one will get upset, let it rip man.

Back