When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YOUR Thoughts On Customizing & Restoring Wanted !!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
"The bottom line is (and in the long run) I could be just as happy building Modified Customs out of custom frames available on Ebay or other bike parts stores...
... so even "parts piles" like pictured above CAN still be "Restored" by any of you guys that would rather save them even in this condition???!!!"

I don't have a problem with customization, but see it as unfortunate when a good original *anything* gets sanitized, cut up, modified. I see nothing in the OP that would be tragic for the "life story" to be blasted away, but it would be a shame to see the boys and girls Higgins drawn and quartered. For many they're "nothing" bikes, but after a clean and service there are plenty of folks that would enjoy and appreciate them. If they are preserved, what about 10-20+yrs down the road: those Higgins are likely more desirable than any hotrod or art project(s) their parts might have contributed to. Why alter a survivor when there are lots of carcasses to be had for less $.
Seems that new frames and parts available at stores/ebay would be easier (cheaper?) to get than vintage. If you're happy using them, then why not pass the old stuff on to folks that prefer it?
If it's sheet metal you crave, get on the youtubes, order up some Grizzly/Harbor Freight tools, and TCB. IMO it would be more creative and rewarding to fab tanks, chain guards, fenders etc for custom projects than assembling collages.

~84 I worked in a hot rod shop

and a customer gave me a t shirt from Posies
It says ANYONE CAN RESTORE AN OLD CAR- IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CUT ONE UP.

and the grapic was a guy with a chain saw wacking the roof off a woodie

His
shirt said: IF IT MOVES, CHOP IT!

I saw some real nice cars get cut. better n a sinkhole..

and a customer gave me a t shirt from Posies
It says ANYONE CAN RESTORE AN OLD CAR- IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CUT ONE UP.

and the grapic was a guy with a chain saw wacking the roof off a woodie

His
shirt said: IF IT MOVES, CHOP IT!

I saw some real nice cars get cut. better n a sinkhole..

LOL - Hey Bike!
I'm VERY FAMILIAR with that shirt!!! :D

I've also had plenty of friends that say...
... "IF I paid the agreed-on price it don't matter if I set it on fire and trash it!!!"
(LOL - NOT that I want to set any old bikes on fire!!! Flame paint job maybe... :p )

Just giving anybody who doesn't want to see something like that Ladies' "parts pile" get cut or welded on a chance to speak up before it's too late!

And ALW...
I DO like the looks of the old bikes Much Better than the new stuff out there...
... but most of the time from what I've seen - old beat parts are still normally cheaper than the new stuff!

Talk Soon!
Blessings!
Will & Wendy,

And ALW...
I DO like the looks of the old bikes Much Better than the new stuff out there...
... but most of the time from what I've seen - old beat parts are still normally cheaper than the new stuff!

There you go then!

dowhatchalikeJPG-1.jpg

When I go to car shows, most of the cars bore me. Especially 55, 6 and 7 Chevy's, and I am a CHEVY guy. The cars that I find most interesting are the custom ones, cars that someone really put their personality into.

Here in Marin County in the 70s and early 80s many people were lucky enough to get nice old bikes, but they didn't know it, or appreciate it. They had to remove the fenders, tanks, chain guards, racks, spread the frames to take five speed rear ends and braze on cantilever brakes. I took welding at night in high school and did many of these mods for people. In the late 80s, I started putting these bikes back to original.

My current opinion is if a bike has original paint, leave it. If it has been repainted, you have been given the liberty to do whatever paint job you want. If the frame is not damaged, leave it alone. If it has been damaged, I'm now gritting my teeth and will say no more except, I feel like I'm in the dentist's office. Stop!

humpty

LOL - Hey Bike!
I'm VERY FAMILIAR with that shirt!!! :D

I've also had plenty of friends that say...
... "IF I paid the agreed-on price it don't matter if I set it on fire and trash it!!!"
(LOL - NOT that I want to set any old bikes on fire!!! Flame paint job maybe... :p )

Just giving anybody who doesn't want to see something like that Ladies' "parts pile" get cut or welded on a chance to speak up before it's too late!

And ALW...

Talk Soon!
Blessings!
Will & Wendy,

There you go then!

dowhatchalikeJPG-1.jpg

old bikes are also built better with better quality steel
just sayin

Its my bike i will build it the way i want to build it.I have no time for some experts opionion on how to build it.

Back