When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your worse flat story

-
I was 30 miles out on my Zipp 3001 when I had a blow out. It was about 7:00 p.m and it was getting dark fast. I had to walk my bike back 30 miles down the bike trail. All sorts of animals come out at night on those bike trails ;)

Had a circa '67 schwinn superior ww explode in the middle of the night once. I was in an apt. at the beach, and kept my bike behind the couch. wasn't til a few days later, when I went to ride, and figured out what the bang was! Also had this happen at 10 pm, I think the guardian angels of tires watch over me!
CRIM00026-1.jpg

I remember the day like it was yesterday...a day that will live in infamy.
As I went up to the attic one day during last Winter, I was horrified that many of the original tires had gone flat and in serious danger of cracking and bikes falling over like dominos.
I worked in haste to move through the packed bike aisles and had some major re-arranging in getting to the rear tires, but I was persistent an swapped tubes and valve caps, working long hours until everybody was safe.
I shudder to think of the disaster I avoided that day.
Chris

I won't say it was a terrible flat story, but once I skewered a tire with a bent nail riding in an alley in Chicago. The nail went in one side of the tire and out the other. I put No-Mor-Flats on that bike after that.

My Dad would buy re-treads to "save" money. One time we had a blow-out on the way back from Indiana in our 1960 Plymouth. That dam tire proceeded to remove most of the side and front end trim on the right front side. Funny, he never bought another re-tread after that....

I forgot about that! Still haven't swapped out that tweaked straightside rim. Better get crackin' before the Colson Ride.

Back