When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zep frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

WEAKFISH

Finally riding a big boys bike
Zep "Style" frame

Anyone have a picture of a prewar Zep "style" bike with a Zenith badge. I bought a frame but would like to see the original color scheme, fenders, seat etc.

Attachments

• zep1.jpg
    zep1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 232
  • zep2.jpg
    zep2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Thanks Scott for carrying the torch. I tried for some time to coax people out of using ?Zep? to describe all the similar frames Snyder produced under various badges. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a single factory name for this ubiquitous frame. I tried the ?Snyder Fastback Sport Frame? but that has yet to catch on. (LOL)

Montgomery Ward used the Zep name for their top of the line bike for years and on many very different models. The 1937 version which uses the ?Snyder Fastback Sport Frame? is unique in the Zep version for the inclusion of a built in head or fork crown lock which separates it from the lesser Hawthorne Comet and Sport models also built on a version of the ?SFSF? frame.

Anyway, I?ve generally moved on to beating other dead dogs. In the hobby, if you want to verbally conjure an accurate image of an SFSF frame in someone?s mind there is no better way than to call it a ?Zep? style frame.

The frame in question was the backbone of Snyder production between late 1935 and 1938 and remained in production perhaps into 1940. There are lots of small variations in the frames due to production modifications over the production span.

Snyder serial numbers are confusing and not entirely helpful for dating a frame but your Zenith has the locking collet seat binder which was adopted in 1936 and dropped for 1937. The earliest 1936 style frames have closely spaced top tubes and will not accept the tank. Your frame looks like it has the larger aperture so it is probably from mid to late 1936.

This link is to a Snyder built Marshall Wells Zenith bike that Shane has. It is the Moto-Balloon model which is probably a bit earlier than your bike but the two styles were produced concurrently for a couple of years.
http://www.thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7282&highlight=zenith

Snyder had a short pallet of colors on general, standard offer at that time and Cobalt blue seems to be the default color for a lot of the Snyder production with Indian red following a close second and Black third. Maroon, Green and Suntone (Tan) also were available in the Snyder spectrum. It looks like some blue is showing through beneath the black on your bike. The plain white darts are likely the pattern that was original to your bike. For the rest of the bits that would finish the bike I would look at what was standard Snyder fare in 1936 (painted full crescent fenders,etc)

Great info. just what I was looking for. thanks Phil!! I have a decal on the seat tube that I can't see very well. I'm guessing it was blue..I'll slowly remove the black paint to see if I can see the scheme. Anyone have a Marshall Wells catalog picture of this?

These Snyder Fastback sport frames are sharp looking to say the least!!:D

I always wanted one and finally got a Wards Comet and found out that the problem with these are the frame size. I was so upset when I realized I would never fit it. for a while I thought mine was a 24" bike but it wasn't, it was just small.
Phil is the guy with the knowledge for these, I kinda stick to the Huffman stuff. give me a nice 19" tall Super Streamliner frame any day! ;)

same thing with me.....i just use it for bar cruises and not any type of distance rides(after a few beers its not as bad:D)
btw....the scallops on the one that strings and spokes has are the same that are on mine and i took measurements off the original paint before i repaired it. if i can find the paper with those ill give you them
zep-1.jpg

zepscallopsstriped003-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some really great info Phil. I picked up an sfsf Hawthorne this summer and was pleasantly surprised with the ride.
With the seat up and back there is plenty o' room for me at 6'1"

Zepcetera010-1.jpg

Zepcetera021-1.jpg

ohhh....i forgot to mention that im 6' and have my seat and bars all the way down:p
same as a chopped and channeled coupe........might not be the most comfy thing but it looks great:D

I'm 6'1", 210lbs and like to be comfortable when I ride, my knees are too bad for such a small frame. I'd also love to have a Wingbar but just can't see it happening.:(
here is a photo of my "Zep" type:D (sorry Phil, I couldn't help myself) before I sold it.
zep.gif

Back