When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zephyr head badge

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rwdfresno

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I've seen several Huffman Zephyr head badges around but not many of this style. I was curious the era and value. Does anyone have more information about this head badge?
IMG_3804.jpg

1940's, not too rare or valuable. just one of the many names Huffman used for their bikes over the years.

I've seen several Huffman Zephyr head badges around but not many of this style. I was curious the era and value. Does anyone have more information about this head badge?View attachment 190704

Somewhere in the earliest issues of Classic Bicycle News is an article(s) on badges
containing the word Zephyr.

In June, 1938 ... American Bicyclist-Motorcyclist Magazine (or something to that
effect) posted information that Huffman had purchased the entire mechanical holdings
AND ''good will'' of the Zephyr Cycle Co. on Monument Ave. in Dayton, Ohio.

Having been interviewed by The Dayton Daily News sometime in the mid to late 90's,
I answered a question about ''most-unusual'' bicycles. My choice was the Zephyr Cycle
... of the Zephyr Cycle Co.

Got a fone call from a rather-irate female .. Annette Anduze .. one of three daughters
of the bicycle's two-designers -- a Mr. Stutzman .. former engineer with the now-defunct
Davis Sewing Machine Co. of Dayton.

"My father would have NEVER SOLD that company !'' .. claims she.

She told me how different the machine was ... that only three had been built (1934) .. and
that her father had designed a special emblem for the bicycle ... two were to be affixed
to the steering-area .. one on the left .. one on the right. The front of the steering-area
being somewhat covered by sheet-metal.

She then described the badge.

Long story - short ... Sent her copies of all the lit I had of her father's machine ... she
was appreciative and sent me a foto of a broken, cast-iron salesman model in her posses-
sion.

One of the fotos I sent was of the blue, large "Z" badge. The badge was still-attached to
a Huffman-Built, original bicycle.

When we chatted at later dates .. Mrs. Anduze was very hospitable.

Below are pics of one of the original bicycles ... and some good fotos of one of the
salesman's samples (from the Ethernet).

I no-longer own either of the two, original, salesman's samples .. that once were in my
collection.

........... patric

zephyr 2014 CABE calendar.jpg

zephyr  001.jpg
zephyr  002.jpg
zephyr  003.jpg
zephyr  004.jpg
zephyr  005.jpg
Salesman's Sample from the Ethernet.

============================
============================

Last edited:
1940's, not too rare or valuable. just one of the many names Huffman used for their bikes over the years.

Hello there Scott, thank you for the reply. I was trying to get ahold of you regarding another topic but I'm not sure how to PM on this site or if you can. I emailed the email address that is on your profile (a lycos address) but wasn't sure if you got it. Is there a better way to email/message you?

thanks,
Ryan

Hello there Scott, thank you for the reply. I was trying to get ahold of you regarding another topic but I'm not sure how to PM on this site or if you can. I emailed the email address that is on your profile (a lycos address) but wasn't sure if you got it. Is there a better way to email/message you?

thanks,
Ryan

ok I went looking for your e-mail and found it. I don't have any but the chrome aftermarket chain guard left. I'm not sure but I may still have one or both of the 50's Huffy guards.
sorry I didn't answer sooner.

P.S. I think I still have the one in this photo, I had all of them for sale for $15-$20 and they didn't sell.

P8230837_zps9fda56b6-1.jpg

Last edited:
There are at least a few varieties of the Dayton badge as well. Are you looking for pre or post war? V/r Shawn

Scott, do you happen to have a Huffman Dayton head badge? Paint quality is inconsequential.

I used to have a NOS Dayton badge, but I can't find it, I may have sold it at the last Coaster Swap Meet. I'll let you know if I find it.

Back