When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a Hawthorne serial number thread?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rebirthbikes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hey everyone,

Im trying to track down a date on an old blue Hawthorne double bar that I have (pictures below) I’ve found the girls version here in another thread and it was dated a ‘37 and I’ve also found the red bike photo in the same paint schematic. Does anyone know if there’s a database for pre-war Hawthorne’s?

Serial number I’m asking about is in the photo.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

2DA78099-EAF9-498E-A0F4-65F128FCE788.jpeg

7E5C7753-9FE1-4B29-AA77-43668ED24995.jpeg

20B8B096-7188-47E6-9063-D7415627FD10.jpeg

That’s a Snyder frame and they are generally identified by the particular characteristics of the frame as these were used about three years.

That’s a Snyder frame and they are generally identified by the particular characteristics of the frame as these were used about three years.
That’s good news, I think I remember a Snyder serial number thread. Did Snyder build frames for Hawthorne’s by chance? It’s badged a Hawthorne.

Thank you for the help! 🤙

Maybe 1939–H, from their Excelsior factory in Michigan City Indiana, closer (than Little Falls) to Montgomery Ward in Chicago.

Last edited:
Here is an entire thread about these bikes/frames.

I need to clarify my Zep statement. The Zep was Ward's top end bike. It was sold from '37-39. Each year the frame is different. The 'fast back' frame was only used for the '37 model. In '38-9 Ward sourced bikes from CWC as well so you will find Snyder and CWC built Zeps. Interestingly you will find Snyder Zeps with CWC Shockmaster forks as well. For more on the Zeps check out my blog here

So from my revolution, Hawthorn used this style frame (Fastback) for 1936 through 1938 with small differences between each year! Please.m, anyone correct me if I’m wrong
1936 - Collet used to secure seat post on down tube. Drop stand included stops.
1937 - Collet replaced by standard seat post clamp, drop stand included stops
1938 - drop stand stops (tabs) added to frame below drop outs (Yours)
Of the three years produced, there were two different styles of fork trusses.

Rollfast and Hawthorne were the main consumer of these frames, however their where others such as Zenith (Others?).

As Freqman1 said, the 1937 Hawthorne Zep was the top of the line version of this frame! Tank with vertical gills, Paisley Chain guard, specific carrier, non-cross member handle bars, Kick stand instead of drop stand, black tail light, duck tail fenders, the all important locking fork and like all early Fords - they were Black!!! ( did I miss anything?)

Rollfast also had a high end Snyder framed bike in 1937. Had the same style tank and and duck tail fenders - maybe someone else can fill in some of the other details!

Corrections welcome!!
Bart

Back