When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1898-1903 Pierce Special

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Looking at your pictures a second time it looks like there is fine gold pin-striping showing on the black in the bottom bracket shots where the carmine is off. The carmine is clearly very old paint with the alligatoring in the finish. And it does not look like it was a quick and dirty house paint job with a brush.

Gary
I think you're right. Looks like red paint on headset and badges.
DSC_0092-1.jpg

DSC_0091-1.jpg

Congrats on your beautiful Pierce 'Special'! I believe, as Shawn suggested above, your bike to be a non-Racer Pierce Special, based upon frame size. From the photos it appears the frame is 24" or even 25", a taller frame than Pierce would have used on Racers, which were only available in 21", 22", and 23" sizes. The non-Racer 'Special' was available in five different frame sizes, from 21" through 25". The tubing diameter on the 24" and 25" 'Special' would have been 1-1/4" in the main tubes, versus the 1-1/8" Shelby seamless tubing used on the smaller frames.

Thanks! If they size the bike from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, then this frame is 24"

Looking at your pictures a second time it looks like there is fine gold pin-striping showing on the black in the bottom bracket shots where the carmine is off. The carmine is clearly very old paint with the alligatoring in the finish. And it does not look like it was a quick and dirty house paint job with a brush.

Gary

I've looked closely for these stripes and I cannot see them. Would they be in the same area as the stripes on your Pierce? Is yours carmine also? It appears to be a different red than mine.

Looks like the somewhere along the line the crank broke and was welded back on. A little detective work showed me that this weld rubs on the chain. There isn't much wear on the chain where the weld rubs, so I wonder how much it was ridden after the fix.
DSC_0108.JPG

I see no difference between the 131 & 141... maybe bars dip 1.5" lower....

Catalog illustration does seem to be very similar, but the description indicates the regular 131/132/133 'Racer' to have arched fork crown versus the plate fork crown on the 'Special Racer'. For that extra 10 bucks you also got upgraded "special tubular hubs" instead of the "flanged barrel hubs", likely resulting in some weight savings.

From the illustration, it appears that frame geometry also seem to be different, with the 'Special Racer' having a shorter wheelbase and steeper head and seat tube angle. I imagine this also differentiates the 'Special Racer-For Track Use' from the 'Special Racer-For Road Use'. The steeper geometry and shorter wheelbase would definitely be an advantage on the track. The fork rake may also be different...

Last edited:
The "spring things" on the fork look more like a tyre saver device, for pulling grit and stones etc. out of the tyres before they have a chance to puncture them.
Popular as an aftermarket accessory in the early 20th. century, I don't think I've seen one as an integral part of a fork before.
Very cool bicycle!

The "spring things" on the fork look more like a tyre saver device, for pulling grit and stones etc. out of the tyres before they have a chance to puncture them.
Popular as an aftermarket accessory in the early 20th. century, I don't think I've seen one as an integral part of a fork before.
Very cool bicycle!

As Krautwaggen said these are pant cuffs to keep your trousers out of the chain. They are not an integral part of the fork. V/r Shawn

As Krautwaggen said these are pant cuffs to keep your trousers out of the chain. They are not an integral part of the fork. V/r Shawn
Doh!
I really should look at the photos more intently before commenting.
I didn't even notice the upper one attached to the crown!
Thanks @Freqman1.

dsc_0104-jpg.jpg

This is the shot where I thought fine pinstripes were showing on the black paint. Maybe they are just parallel scratches??

Gary

Back