When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Violet Schwinn Superior

-
Check out these dropouts, I vaguely remember seeing this on another Superior somewhere..

I've seen those solid Huret dropouts on several Superiors. So far it seems to be an early '62 feature:

6jejpi.jpg

102np84.jpg

Please post a close-up pic of your LH dropout for the record. Thanks!

A little cruise through google images and it looks like there are a few out there with these drops, and another one with the same little odd details as mine...

...notice anything missing?
b021bedac668db26aa9a59a977e487ab.jpg

I've looked for more pictures of the stem and bar shim and no luck. In your picture, upside down, it sure looks the Sport is spelled Short. Is that how all the engravings look? Never seen a P in cursive or otherwise that looks like that.

...notice anything missing?
b021bedac668db26aa9a59a977e487ab.jpg

Well that '62 Terra Cotta Superior appears to be missing the original freewheel, front derailleur and brake levers/hoods. But another thing you can see is that the solid Huret dropouts didn't have provisions for screw-in adjusters (axle spacers) and Huret had not yet developed the fixed bolt-in type spacer that were used in '67 and later.

I definitely noticed the 15-speed "decal", but that wasn't a decal, it was either screened or hand painted and it practically wiped off so it is rare to see that one intact. The others can also come off, but in the case of your bike it just seems too clean and original for that to have happened so they might not have been used yet? Maybe it was an early '62 thing?

Last edited:
Back