When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automoto (build thread)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Automoto Clover leaf chainwheel, 46T, 170mm. Circa 30's? I have 2 other Automoto cranksets, but no idea as to years used.

20231205_014728~2.jpg

-----
Automoto Clover leaf chainwheel, 46T, 170mm. Circa 30's? I have 2 other Automoto cranksets, but no idea as to years used.

View attachment 1948629

-----

chainset appears to be the design where chainwheel threads onto a threaded boss on the backside of the crankarm head and is then secured with a threaded lockring - be this correct?

most frankish chainset producers offered this design

here is a catalogue page from Peyrard (NERVAR) ca. MCMLV illustrating their example -

Peyrard catalogue page 1955 b)  .jpg

Etablissements Peyrard, NERVAR chainwheel catalogue page .jpg
[ see crankarm 20 - 21 & chainwheel V ]

french thread-on chainwheel chainset c) .jpg

french thread-on chainwheeel chainset b) ,jpg.jpeg

french chainset with thread-on chainwheel  .jpg

-----

Last edited:
Yes, threaded on with lock ring. I would be interested to know when manufactures both started using and then eschewed that design since it would help date my parts. Interesting that there is no "Automoto" stamped onto the crankarms as it is on my other examples. The arms look original to the assembly.

20231205_133402~2.jpg

-----

have never known start/stop dates for the design

it does go back at least into the nineteen thirties

it seemed to come forward at least into the early nineteen sixties

have never encountered a non-frankish example

-----

No guarantee that the cranks are original to the chainwheel. Same as my other cranks possibly paired with a non-Automoto chainwheel.

Here's a comparison between the different cranks:
20231206_024005~2.jpg

20231206_024045~2.jpg

Last but not least is this crankset (chainwheel make unknown). Still unknown if chainwheel is of Automoto manufacture. Chainwheel matches that found on a circa 1933 bike (Girardengo) that would have used suppliers (e.g. Automoto) available at the time.

20220301_222742~2.jpg

-----

1701899178426.png

---

the arms here do not appear to be a match

the drive side arm appears to exhibit a raised area for the pedal spindle shoulder to seat upon

the non-drive side arm looks to not have this feature

the flute in the outer face of the drive-side arm is narrower than that of the flute in the face of the non-drive side arm

do not especially question that they may have been a match from the manufacturer's perspective

interesting to note how carefully the threads for the chainwheel mounting were done that it comes out in perfect "clocking" when cinched down into place

---

believe have seen this chainwheel pattern previously in a non-automoto context but am unable to place it

was current for a time during the 1930's and may well go back to the 1920's

-----

Last edited:
-----

the arms here do not appear to be a match

the drive side arm appears to exhibit a raised area for the pedal spindle shoulder to seat upon

the non-drive side arm looks to not have this feature

the flute in the outer face of the drive-side arm is narrower than that of the flute in the face of the non-drive side arm

do not especially question that they may have been a match from the manufacturer's perspective

interesting to note how carefully the threads for the chainwheel mounting were done that it comes out in perfect "clocking" when cinched down into place

---

believe have seen this chainwheel pattern previously in a non-automoto context but am unable to place it

-----
Regarding the pedal ends, both are the same. It appears different due to gouging of the crankarm surface where the pedal was mounted; just an optical illusion.
The flutes may be a little different. I can do a measurement and see.

Yes, threaded on with lock ring. I would be interested to know when manufactures both started using and then eschewed that design since it would help date my parts. Interesting that there is no "Automoto" stamped onto the crankarms as it is on my other examples. The arms look original to the assembly.

View attachment 1948805

-----

have never known start/stop dates for the design

it does go back at least into the nineteen thirties

it seemed to come forward at least into the early nineteen sixties

have never encountered a non-frankish example

-----
I have a late 1890's version and have chainring's of this design that come in 3 different thread sizes; which is a little infuriating when you get one and it doesn't fit the crank! Lol!

Like @juvela, I've never seen one that wasn't of French origin.

Back