When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you put a drum brake on the twin spring Monark fork?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

elginkid

Finally riding a big boys bike
IMG_5681.jpeg

I picked this bike up and I was going to do an updated Sturmey Archer wheelset, since these don’t appear to be the original wheels anyway. But I wanted to do a front drum brake, but because of where the axle attaches, I’m not sure if you can strap the drum arm to the forward most leg of the fork, as it appears it will flex in an incompatible way.

I've definitely not seen an original mount for a drum brake arm on these forks.

I'd imagine you'd have to make a linkage that "floats" with the wheel. A brake arm strap that stays rigidly in place on the rear fork, preferably with bushings, and the linkage would have to be the same length as the distance between aft fork leg and axle mount.

No. But yes. Since the hub and axle clamps to the link between the legs, you cannot attach the brake arm to the leg without limiting suspension travel. There are hacks that will allow it though...see below...
1698842545865.png

This is a @TRM solution that fixes the brake arm to the rear link, allowing the brake housing & arm to rotate with the axle link as it changes position....I believe this is a columbia linkage fork...

I've seen several Hextubes with New Departure WD front brakes mounted to them.

Back