When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding False Assumption?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Boris

Old fat tired rider
I have a boys frame with a G39497 serial number that I assumed was postwar because it does not have dropstand tangs (it does have chain adjusters). Even without the tangs, is it possible that this might be a 1940 prewar frame? Does the curve of the down tube provide a clue? The reason I ask, is that when trying to fit a boys postwar Shockmaster fork, I found that the column is a bit longer than the original fork that came with frame (shown), although it's not as long as a girls fork column. So, would prewar headtubes be slightly longer on the boys prewar bikes than on the boys postwar bikes? Note: I drilled a hole on the rear dropout to attach a postwar chainguard. Fenders not original and crimps are off, so as not to accept Shockmaster fork blades graciously.
IMG_4701.jpg

Last edited:
@mrg, Did you say the pre-war Hawthorne All Americans were the only pre-war CWC's without drop stand ears? You said something somewhere but I can't find the post.

@mrg, Did you say the pre-war Hawthorne All Americans were the only pre-war CWC's without drop stand ears? You said something somewhere but I can't find the post.
Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember this. Unfortunately there was no badge attached to this bike when I bought it.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember this. Unfortunately there was no badge attached to this bike when I bought it.
@mrg has pictures of his bikes posted on here somewhere. Hopefully he'll see this and help out!

Maybe a 1946-G.
I have seen a 1940-H CWC Wm. Bingham Speed King with the drop stand ears. (But Wards did experiment prewar with kickstands?).
IMG_2023-02-18_16-09-06.jpeg

Looks like my 1946-J Hawthorne; (see the vertical badge fasteners, and curvy down tube).
@mrg may also have information about the chain guard attachments (but the hole was drilled!).
The only other thing that I can think of is the horizontal versus vertical badge hole alignment; not sure when that changed?

Last edited:
Altho the prewar AA had no rear stand feet the frame is "completely" different than any other frame, Straight bar ( tank ) straight down tube with a curve right before the BB and straight chain stays, yours is a 3 gill style frame and first postwar still had a clamp on guard, I'd say 46 but who knows whats with the headtube?, don't know if it's the angle of the pic or is it me but your headtube/frame looks a bit off?, here is a good look at a AA frame that ended up a war time WF anomaly and another thread about weird CWC 3 gil with a different headtube. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1941-46-cwc-something-or-other-frickin-frame.211263/post-1460061

Last edited:
Altho the prewar AA had no rear stand feet the frame is "completely" different than any other frame, Straight bar ( tank ) straight down tube with a curve right before the BB and straight chain stays, yours is a 3 gill style frame and first postwar still had a clamp on guard, I'd say 46 but who knows whats with the headtube?, don't know if it's the angle of the pic or is it me but your headtube/frame looks a bit off?, here is a good look at a AA frame that ended up a war time WF anomaly and another thread about weird CWC 3 gil with a different headtube. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1941-46-cwc-something-or-other-frickin-frame.211263/post-1460061
Posting a photo of my '46 along w/bike in question for comparison. What looks off to you, I'm don't think I'm seeing it? The rake maybe?
IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_4701.jpg

As said, not sure if it's the angle of the pic but the top bar connection looks straighter on the other bikes?, have you tried a regular 3 gill tank on it?

img_4701-jpg.jpg

IMG_2098.jpeg

IMG_2099.jpeg

Last edited:
Back