When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fabricated a Delta HornLite handle bar button

-

Dgoldman

Finally riding a big boys bike
IMG_3615.JPG

Just need the handle bar clamp.

IMG_3618.JPG
IMG_3619.JPG
IMG_3620.JPG
IMG_3622.JPG
Ok, here's the details for others.

Delta button is from a Delta horn tank unit.
(Test the switch with a continuity meter before you start). The button is clamped onto the horn unit housing. Use needle nose plyers to remove the button assembly. Once removed, the button housing has a soldered on additional clamp housing that needs to be removed. I ground off the clamp housing leaving the true button housing alone. When grinding the housing off be careful not to get the button housing too hot! It could damage the button switch. Once the clamp housing was ground down to almost nothing left, I was able to use a soldering iron to heat up the remaking clamp housing and it slid right off. For the new button chrome shell, I bought a chrome expandable shower bar at lowes for $8. The inside portion of the tube is 13/16". I cut off a 4" piece and inserted a seat post into it which fits perfectly into the new tube. Insert the seat post into the tube but leaving about a1/16" short. Tape the seat post and the tube so they are one and don't slip. Carefully hammer ( I used my body hammers) the edges of the tube at the top and they will roll over with the seat tube inside supporting it. Once the edge is rolled how you like it stop. Remove the seat post and retape( painters tape) the 4" piece so you don't scratch the new chrome. Next tool needed is a Dremel tool with multiple bit tips ( I used sanding drums, fine diamond tip and a grinding stone). The sanding drums don't grab as much as others. Grind the inside edge of the rolled end to where you like it. Next, cut the new tube( button housing ) to the proper length. For the bottom of the tube ( new button housing) I removed the material with a small Dremal grinding stone at the same radius as the handle bars. The wire area of the button housing, I used a small fine diamond tip. Keep the new chrome housing taped up so incase you slip, you won't scratch the new button housing. The button can be hot glued in, in case service is needed. The glue can be easily be removed. I used some antique cloth wire 18/2 for the switch.

Good Luck!
Robbie

IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3630.JPG

Just got original Torrington's back from chrome. Installed my button. I have a little smaller gauge wire coming. Will give that a try and see if I like it better.

Back