When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is my latest RAT BIKE. 1958 Columbia built GoodYear Hiway Patrol. Sat out side for 20 some years, recovered the seat with an old green tshirt, put on a new set of all green tires and grips and its a rider, total price $45 cant bet that with a stick. LOL Sulley

0021-1.jpg

Last edited:
Most Rat rodders take the bikes that are to far gone to be restored, or bicycles that have little to no collectors value.. plus if you hang on to everthing to preserve them, you will end up getting a visit from the producers of horders!..lol

I agree, plus you will make a one of a kind bike that no body else has.

AXHEADBADGEgif-1.jpg

Its kinda always been there was here and then there was over there. Two totally different
views on old bikes. I always thought we both had our place in the bike world. We do with what
we have and yall wait for that one ...you hardly never find one of those parts...and restore a bike
back to its former original glory. Sometime in my early bike hacking career I decided if we kept
hacking up old stuff that we were doing a disservice to history. I decided I could take tubing and
build my own frames and reap the benefits of custom builds without damaging history. So I do.
DSCF00106-1.jpg

For me classic bicycles are those about which I can trace their history aand get to know the characteristics that make them unique, after which I take initiative in purchase

Boardtrack racer -- my Rat Rod Bike

Had this frame for a while -- just the frame & fork since the rest of the bicycle was rusted to well beyond - wrong fork - wrong fenders - correct 24" wheels - but rusted though & the rest was what you see in the top photo - the rest of the pics are what it tuned into - A RIDER - I built it up recently so I could ride it - nothing was altered to achieve this look - so if someone who doesn't like the Rat Rod look wants to give me all the original missing parts - I will gladly bring it back to an original bicycle - but seeing how impossible it is to locate the parts for these 1935 Silverking window framed bicycles - I don't think I will get the parts anytime soon - Some day I will have all the correct parts - until then or in the meanwhile I will enjoy my Copperking conversion whenever I can -- RIDE VINTAGE -- Frank

Windowframe1.gif
SilverkingRR20123-1.jpg
SilverkingRR20126-1.jpg
SilverkingSunset2Aug2012-1.jpg

Rat rod Girardengo

Thats right im gonna rat out my 1950 Girardengo 3 speed ! And MAYBE MY LAZZARETTI...

Well, if this is rat, it's decent rat...

and it's at the LBS getting a new headset after about 60 years.

[video=youtube;qQZzTrTRe9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQZzTrTRe9s[/video]

If an old bike is mostly toast, then rat away! I love custom anything! What Frank did is a textbook example. If it's close enough to original, and clean enough to ride as-is, then ride as-is. If it needs a restore, and you're willing to go the distance on the project then restore. I for one, love seeing the better-than-original restorations with professional paint jobs, new chrome, reupholstered saddle and the works.

The only thing in this hobby that burns me up is seeing a beautiful survivor, a bike in good shape that's got all the original parts, get parted out for profit. To me, that displays a craven, crass, and mercenary lack of values. It destroys a piece of Americana for the sake of a few bucks in someone's pocket. There is an example or two in the sales section right now. And, just so I'm clear- I have no objection to parting out some frankenbike, or a bike that's mostly stripped to begin with, or one that is missing so much stuff that it's not worth a restoration.

JWM

Tempest has plenty of scratches and dings! She sat in my shed for about four years because I'm slow and methodical and overloaded with stuff and my dad was dying from lung cancer the whole time. I almost died of renal failure July 18th from 'lithium sickness' and the heat! But my birthday was June 26th and that was my goal to get on the road, which I did.

Along the way I collected all of the things I wanted to put on the bike...the Honda fairing, custom welded rack, trim rings from the previous 'saddlebags' and real Saddleman saddlebags I found on eBay some time ago.

Here is that rack and saddlebags, ready to mount.

rhertj67988ui (35).JPG
ffjjh44jgfhuyu55.JPG
ffjjh44jgfhuyu55 (1).JPG
ffjjh44jgfhuyu55 (2).JPG
ffjjh44jgfhuyu55 (3).JPG
ffjjh44jgfhuyu55 (4).JPG
ffjjh44jgfhuyu55 (5).JPG

Back