When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morrow/Eclipse rear hub rebuild questions?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

US042

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi,
I have an Morrow/Eclipse 36/10 rear hub date code m3 off a 1943 Westfield Columbia bicycle. I want to rebuild the rear hub and before I start, I wanted to know what the best way is to go about doing it. Are they simple ie just pull apart/clean/rebuild? Do I need any special tools?. Are there any wear/service parts(like brake shoes in cars) which might need replacing?.
Thanks in advance,
Brett.

20231003_172224.jpg

Last edited:
The brake sleeve on those is made of brass......In many cases they are very worn.....The brake sleeve should have well defined lines on it....If they are well worn or even completely gone....it should be replaced....otherwise the brake will perform very poorly.....

Thanks Bryan.

I have pulled the hub apart and I am inspecting each of the components. The brake sleeve is worn however looks to have never been grooved which maybe was the case with early ones?. The steel case that the brass is riveted to is cracked through and I think will have to be replaced. I don't think a weld repair will work given the way they work with expansion/contraction. Does anyone know a source for these?.

Thanks,
Brett.

20231004_125648.jpg

20231004_125701.jpg

I'll be tackling the same job on my L1 Morrow hub soon. I'm glad you breached the subject
here for all of us "beginners". At least, it's going to be a first for me anyway. Best of luck to
you. I'll be watching intently. Please post the process and the results. 😎

Back