When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure A cog/sprocket frankenhub question

-

gkeep

I live for the CABE
Hello All knowing ones.

For you consideration, the photo of very worn teeth of the New Departure Model A on my Pierce. The chain is missing 8 rollers and a few others are split from wear. This chain and hub have been together a while I'm guessing. Also in the photos is a driver and cog I found, ND Model D driver? Can anyone ID this?

I'm wondering if it would be sacrilege to replace the original worn cog with it's newer cousin, though it's a shame to mix patina'd nickel parts and newer chrome. Please don't banish me for suggesting this is possible in my youthful ignorance...;)
20170413_171458_resized.jpg
20170413_171522_resized.jpg

Don't know how handy you are with a welder & grinder, but if I couldn't replace it, i'd weld up the worn teeth and grind them back to shape. It's a bit of farmers type thinking, but with a wet cloth protecting the finishes it should turn out good, with a little patience. The weld will be a bit harder than the original steel, I don't think it would hurt the chain.

Thanks for the advice. I had thought about building up the worn teeth. I am not a welder or machinist but I have some coworkers, friends and neighbors who are. I like to keep things as original as I can though of course it's all assuming these are original components and not replacements someone put on in the 50s or 60s...:) Given the condition of the bike when I found it in a pile of construction debris with just a pedal sticking out from a pile of lathe and plaster and wall studs who knows where this old beast has been?

It's not going anywhere though until I get the tire shipment from Moruya Cycles in Australia to replace the tire with the bead tearing out...

Gary

When your cog is that worn you can probably bet your chain has stretched a bit, if not a fair amount. If it has stretched, replacing the cog will look better for awhile, but it'll wear faster because the chain doesn't interface with the cog like it should.

Thanks,
I do have a replacement chain soaking in oil. It just needs two more lengths added to match the 54 link chain on the bike now.

Gary

Back