When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure hub questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Biggest problem with Bendix, as Antony points out, is once they are worn out, you have to buy a whole new hub. I prefer ND for that reason. As a kid, I discovered that, if you don't have any money, you can make discs from durn near anything that is the right thickness and flat, and it will more or less work. I remember making discs from some old roofing copper and shoe soles. They didn't last very long, but they lasted long enough for me to mow some lawns and save up enough to get a replacement set of discs from my local bike shop.

rims ahoy

So looks like I got a pair of pre-war drop center rims coming that have ND hubs front & rear. I will need to switch the skip-tooth rear cog to a 1/2" pitch one; are these readily available for the model D? Should I get a new set of discs while I'm at it? Anything else I should consider getting at the same time, like bearings, or do those usually wear pretty tough as long as the grease is clean?

cheers

greg v.

So looks like I got a pair of pre-war drop center rims coming that have ND hubs front & rear. I will need to switch the skip-tooth rear cog to a 1/2" pitch one; are these readily available for the model D? Should I get a new set of discs while I'm at it? Anything else I should consider getting at the same time, like bearings, or do those usually wear pretty tough as long as the grease is clean?

cheers

greg v.
The cogs aren't 'readily' available. They're out there. Just gotta look. The bearings rarely wear to the point that they need to be replaced. A lot of times the discs are still good, especially if they came from a girl's bike. Look at the discs before you spend money on new ones. The only drawback is that the lock ring holding the cog on can be a real bear to loosen. (it's reverse thread too...)

I have a NOS half pitch sprocket attached to the driver with a good bearing inside the set nut.
I'll sell it to yeah for cheap. Very shiny script set nut too.:D

It was pulled out of a new hub to put a new triplspeed unit in.

Back