When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal Backwards to Shift-The Cambio Corsa/Paris-Roubaix Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Some serious Cambio Corsa action over on eBay!

And, Hello!
Gino Bartali’s Legnano!

Super bad ass!
Price is a bit much, but, where else are you going to get a couple of bikes like these?

If that Viscontea is a true '41 it would be the earliest CC bike I've seen. Still a bit much without some sort of significant history I think. The Bartali Legnano is one bad azz piece for sure but I want to see some race history for that kind of coin. Thanks for posting Marty. V/r Shawn

Yeah, although it appears to be the same make and model as the one in this photo from the Giro d’ Italia, it’s still tough to be able to say, that it’s the same bike.

The blemish on the fork is in the right spot, but not quite as extensive as it is in the race photo.
Maybe just some grime that got cleaned off?
Hard to say for sure, but the bike itself is very similar to the one in the race photo.
It looks to me, like the eBay bike might be a little taller frame?

Yeah, although it appears to be the same make and model as the one in this photo from the Giro d’ Italia, it’s still tough to be able to say, that it’s the same bike.View attachment 1712030
View attachment 1712029
The blemish on the fork is in the right spot, but not quite as extensive as it is in the race photo.
Maybe just some grime that got cleaned off?
Hard to say for sure, but the bike itself is very similar to the one in the race photo.
It looks to me, like the eBay bike might be a little taller frame?
That's possible. This may be an early bike and had a taller frame but as I understand both Gino and Fausto actually rode shorter frames on their CC equipped bikes to make it easier to shift. V/r Shawn

Agree with all that was said on these 2 bikes. First one definitely needs some provenance relating to it's history. Seller is stating that it was Faliero's bike? Something he raced on? Wasn't he retired by '41? I have no idea if it was standard to stamp their frames with the year, if so it would also be the earliest cambio corsa frame I've seen as stated by another here. Without any knowledge of bikes or lug markings I could have easily concluded that it was a 1971 or 1978 frame which of course it obviously is not. There could be some conclusive evidence if the rod handles had the very early style design (circa ?; at least pre-'46), and how many teeth the drop-outs have. I have not gone to ebay to look at it. I would hope it has many clear and detailed photos if they expect to sell it for the asking price; but with free shipping I'm tempted.

The Legnano does not appear to be the same frame size (larger) as in the archival image aside from the pump mounting and the crank-chainring orientation.

Fondriest's Legnano (one of ?)(with provenance) was on sale for about a year (or more!) at around $10-12K; a much much newer bike, but in excellent condition and no questions as to it's authenticity. Never checked to see what it sold for.

Regardless, 2 really cool bikes!!

I am noticing on some these bikes (and I assume others of like vintage) that the front and rear Universal calipers are not the same model (different reach also). I thought my brakes were not original, or at least one of them, but then I saw another example of the same set-up with a "Sport"(?) model on the front and a Mod. 39(?) on the rear. I already know that it was common to have different reach calipers front and rear, but not different models (as stock).
At this point I am inclined to believe that my brakes are OE so I am changing course from putting on Mod. 51/Extras on the Paglioli and retaining the brakes that were on it as received.

Quick question that has arisen due to a member here wanting some Mod. 51s. I was going through my stock and was curious if there is any connection between the color of the washer (red, blue, black, none) relating to its period of manufacture. My early "Sport" have red washers, the "Sport" that came off my bike had no color, Mod. 39 no color, and Mod. 61 and 68 both have blue. I need to check my Mod. 51s since I keep thinking they are also red like the "Sport", but there were blue washers on the Mod. 51s he bought, and a quick check in velobase showed blue washers also.
If anyone can shed some more light on this and/or provide some examples it would be great.

Edit: my Mod. 51 Extras have blue washers.

Last edited:
My understanding of the reason for the long reach caliper on the back, and the short reach on the front, is because the front fork has a vertical drop out, so the relationship between the rim and the brake pad doesn’t change.
Whereas, the rear/back wheel, has an adjustable range, due to the semi horizontal drop out.
So the rear caliper needed a larger adjustment range for the rim/brake pad relationship.
Not sure, if this is actually the case, but that’s just how it was explained to me.

Back