When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Repro

-
Capture.JPG

I would pass at $995.I know in my area they were trying to dump these at a local bike shop,still in the box, for $600.My friend bought one.It was junk.Get the real deal and you will have something collectable.

I would pass at $995.I know in my area they were trying to dump these at a local bike shop,still in the box, for $600.My friend bought one.It was junk.Get the real deal and you will have something collectable.
What is the name of that bike shop?

LOL me tinks he said "Were" to indicate it was some time ago.

However, he's right. Unless you follow the rules of owning China Schwinn's.

1. Don't ever get it wet! Chrome is actually porous and it started rusting when the hot dip/electro plating cooled, sucking humidity.

2.. even if you never ride it, if you live costal, near ocean, part that sucker ASAP.

3. Never ride it on dirty surface. Your fenders will get scratched underside and begin rusting even faster.

4. do NOT scratch the paint as the metal under it is cheap!. Rust is your friend if you desire to art -fart it, to look old quick.

5. It wasn't made to be an investment, unless you got it too part out and or cheap from dope who actually dared to ride it like a fricken bike should be.

6. They're fricken rust buckets, so you'll also need to put a post-it note on stem that says just that.

7. enjoy it before it's pile of spit.

8. otherwise build ya a clear container with dehumidifier so's you can look at it from time to time knowing that dealers sucked 3-5 grand out of dopes who 'believed' but and if you were that dope, you paid for the entertainment value, . you get to look at it from time to time considering that 3-5 grand is long gone. .

rules 9-10-11 and 12. Sucker!

Albeit I got their 95 phantom frame on a cruiser deluxe for $75 bucks and it is nice to have that nexus 7 speed, with tank/horn and fender light, look like a 50's bike, especially a black phantom but modern conveniences plus, for $75, it's actually worth it. [wink] Yet that clock is ticking as the rust continues to etch and rot it away. Also cool to know; the guy who originally owned it, bought new for his kid got to fricken play wit the darned thing. So much so, I actually gave him more than he'd asked. All it needed besides; all of the chrome, including 52 tooth chain ring, crank, fenders, springer and handlebar, anything chrome is pealing , which I could care a spit about, except the tank is okey dokey, and to change the cheap A.. with good tread Schwinn rotting tires. I.E. he art-farted it for me. hence I get to ride and play wit it too! .[grin]

Oh yeah, I took off the chain guard once and the DAM rear POS!! un-quality, bolt/screw BROKE OFF in the fricken hole! Plus I've yet to remove the fender light b/C the POS screws are CRAP!

even though, it really does not look, half as bad as I've described. I.E. they're for eye appeal, 'entertainment' visual value , not for fricken riding. .

Last edited:
LOL me tinks he said "Were" to indicate it was some time ago.

However, he's right. Unless you follow the rules of owning China Schwinn's.

1. Don't ever get it wet! Chrome is actually porous and it started rusting when the hot dip plating cooled, sucking humidity.

2.. even if you never ride it, if you live costal, near ocean, part that sucker ASAP.

3. Never ride it on dirty surface. Your fenders will get scratched underside and begin rusting even faster.

4. do NOT scratch the paint as the metal under it is cheap!. Rust is your friend if you desire to art -fart it, to look old quick.

5. It wasn't made to be an investment, unless you got it too part out and or cheap from dope who actually dared to ride it like a fricken bike should be.

6. They're fricken rust buckets, so you'll also need to put a post-it note on stem that says just that.

7. enjoy it before it's pile of spit.

8. otherwise build ya a clear container with dehumidifier so's you can look at it from time to time knowing that dealers sucked 3-5 grand out of dopes who 'believed' but and if you were that dope, you paid for the entertainment value, . you get to look at it from time to time considering that 3-5 grand is long gone. .

rules 9-10-11 and 12. Sucker!

Albeit I got their 95 phantom frame on a cruiser deluxe for $75 bucks and it is nice to have that nexus 7 speed, with tank/horn and fender light, look like a 50's bike, especially a black phantom but modern conveniences plus, for $75, it's actually worth it. [wink] Yet that clock is ticking as the rust continues to etch and rot it away. Also cool to know; the guy who originally owned it, bought new for his kid got to fricken play wit the darned thing. So much so, I actually gave him more than he'd asked. All it needed beside all of the chrome, including 52 tooth chain ring, crank, fenders, springer and handlebar, except the tank , which I could care a spit about, and too change the cheap A.. with good tread Schwinn rotting tires. I.E. he art-farted it for me. hence I get to ride and play wit it too! .[grin]
Yes this was about 4 years ago . On the bikes first cruise the pedal broke and the seat broke..I cant endorse what I saw as junk.Looked good in the showroom but thats where it should have stayed. My buddy sold it .

My Phantom Deluxe Edition Repro.
Bought it from Schwinn store in 2000.
It was the last one they had.
It was their display model which I paid under $500.
I ride it daily.
a3kyo7.jpg

2mpd9g6.jpg

2hrg3gg.jpg

mu7tit.jpg

dwtlx4.jpg

There is no rust anywhere, even though I ride it when
the weather is not as good and I don’t want to take
my original Phantoms on the streets.
Pedals, chain and brakes still working perfectly.
The paint has not faded at all. The ride is super comfortable.
All I do is polish with a cloth and lubricate as needed.

It’s taking forever to age this cheap repro like my
original 1952-53-54-55 Phantoms. :D

P.S. Friend of mine bought one in ’96. It came in a carton.
His model started to rust after 2 years.

Last edited:
Back