When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh 3 speed help

-

stezell

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
20161126_162429.jpg
20161126_162439.jpg
20161126_162513.jpg
20161126_162521.jpg
Just picked up this Raleigh today and not up on English road bikes. Tried to see if I could find the year on the rear hub and I'm sure the handlebars are wrong. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Sean

Looks late 1940s to me, Raleigh-made Rudge seems right. That would be a relatively early Raleigh-made Rudge after they merged those brands. Some parts have been changed.

Last edited:
That's why I enclosed the pic of the Rudge decal. I wasn't sure if it was put on by someone or it was original, since the Raleigh was on it as well. I didn't get to the bike serial number today, sorry.

Raleigh and Rudge merged in the early 1940s. Rudge was produced in Nottingham alongside Raleigh after that, with Rudge being a premium bike line. There was indeed a Rudge fender decal as well, with the red hand of Ulster on it, and these went on the Rudge bikes. I'm inclined to say the fenders might be Raleigh replacements rather than original, but there is always the chance they had Raleigh fenders on hand in these years and used those on this particular bike. As soon as you think you know a rule for sure with these bikes, an exception suddenly appears.

20161128_145012.jpg
Well here's what I got for the serial # on the seat lug and I'll have to wait another day when it's not raining to clean the rear hub for the year stamp. Looks like C1826AJ

Back