When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

s2 knurled painted rim

-

L.I. Steve

Look Ma, No Hands!
:confused: I have a skip tooth tubular S2 rim that someone had grinded the knurl marks off on the outside of the rim but you can still see the knurl marks on the inside. But there are traces of green paint on the outside and decent coating of green paint on the inside. The paint looks like it's original. I'm curious if anyone can tell me which model Schwinn had the option of green S2 knurled rims. And the hub is New Departure. (Sorry no photos).

the marks werent ground off,the first run s2 had the knuiling on the inside,and iv not seen anyother than ivory paint

I got 1/2 pint of Rustoleum Almond for 3.75 and it did the job. Just had to paint the inside of the rims after power wire brushing and rust preventative costing.

I've used a spray paint called "appliance epoxy" for the rims, found it at Home Despot, likely available elsewehre. Comes in white, black and off-white. I think the off-white is a decent match for the Schwinn color. Seemed to be more durable than regular paint. It's very particular about the re-coat window however, do it at the wrong interval and it does bad things, ask me how I know.
As the the OP's rim. Yeah, it's a '48 S-2. Stamped but no knurls.
Cheers, Geoff

I believe 48 was the first year for S-2's and as greenephantom and others stated were unknurled. 1949 and after were knurled. I've never seen any other than chrome or ivory. Post some pictures up when you get a chance.

Knurling is caused by the feed rollers in the forming machine. the first ones did not have as much pressure pinching the rim down, but they are all knurled to some extent, and I am sure they decided a larger pressure made them all look the same, and rolled with it. I have a few early sets, one is on my 47 WZ, and you can still see the roller pattern inside

Back