When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 Elgin Gull

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Please reply by conversation.
How 'bout taking it to Copake with a reserve? I've never been there & have no idea how that works, but would be worth a try. I bet they'll be some heavy-hitters eyeballing it!

Joe, I want to offer my support for what it's worth. there is no way to set prices on super rare stuff. there are those who would love for it to be listed auction style in the hopes that it would not perform well and they could get it cheap. I've seen it happen, sometimes the right people just don't see it, and sometimes there aren't enough bidders, sometimes the timing is bad, this is a bike that the right guy may need a bit of time to make a run at. none of these factors make this a good auction gamble. I remember a certain Huffman Super Streamline that caused a stir a few years back at Copake. the bike was offered around for $700.00 for quite a time and sold at auction for $4000.00. the current owner wouldn't let it go for that now though, and I'll just bet it's the same people grumbling on your Gull that were outraged that they didn't get the Streamline for $700! some people seem to think everything should be theirs, and are willing to be quite rude and devious to get their way.
I think your bike is amazing and appropriately priced. don't cave in, find it the right home.

P.S., bring it out to the Coaster ride next weekend, we'll find somewhere safe to store it during the ride. it would be great to see it in person, and get some photos of it!

Very much agreed. Much of what I said to Joe in the beginning through a PM. I sent him a PM because I did not want to junk up his "For Sale" thread and take away from his fine Gull. Good luck Joe. You know my position on this.

How 'bout taking it to Copake with a reserve? I've never been there & have no idea how that works, but would be worth a try. I bet they'll be some heavy-hitters eyeballing it!

Could work out great. I haven't been there in about 8 years. The thing is the auction is 8 months away. Do you consign it to Copake and take it out of view and possible sale in the meantime. Shipping----do you pack it and take the gamble it gets there OK and not beat to you know what. Then---once it gets there is there some 15 year old kid hammering on it to put it together. A lot to go wrong with a near 1 of a kind bike. You all know as well as I do, if it gets beat to piss, it's GONE. Then---if all that goes well how long do you wait for your money. I know years back I waited 4 months. Would not be me. The bike world knows about it. I would rather have it in my possession and try to find the right home for it. As my signature though "I don't know everything about anything"

Elgin Gull

I still have the Gull. I thought I had a buyer but he flaked out. No biggie. I am into trades and cash.

Trades?

What do you have to trade or trades and cash. Show me what you have hiding in your garage. I am into 35-42 pre war bikes, cars, vintage bmx. especially Cook Bros. Racing parts, cruiser frames, 70's obscure BMX frames, hotrods, vintage motorcycles. What's out there?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back