When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Schwinn DB97XE restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hektor08

Look Ma, No Hands!
A little late posting this, please allow me to share my first project. I have no previous experience with bike restoration but I quickly got interested with Schwinn bicycles after joining this forum way back in 2020.

This Schwinn straight bar frame was found in a local province in the Philippines and I acquired it last October 2020. The serial number identifies it to the year 1948, through the help of REC. After several months of research, I decided to restore it to a DB97XE model.

IMG_E3748.JPG

DB97XE.jpg

It took me quite a while to gather original Schwinn parts for this model. Some parts were purchased through Cabe members. Other parts I got from bike collectors. But overall the hunt was really worth it.
IMG_4270.JPG

IMG_4469.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4377.JPG

The fenders still had its original paint, so I visited a local paint store. They were able to mix and match the original paints that I needed.
All metal parts were disassembled and re-chromed. The S2 wheels were rebuilt using NOS Torrington spokes.
Being a newbie on this, I had some difficulty putting on the paint stencils lol 😆resulting to some paint lines not being as straight as I have wanted.

I hope I was able to give this straight bar frame the justice that it deserves. The final look of my DB97XE:
IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4679.JPG

Added a 3D printed bicycle plate (patterned to a vintage bicycle plate in the Philippines)
IMG_4680.JPG

NOS Gulotta No. 375 Reflector
IMG_4681.JPG

Delta Bicycle PT streamlined horn + Delta Torpedo Bicycle Light
IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_4684.JPG

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoyed the pictures as much as I have enjoyed building my first Schwinn.

- Hector
Philippines 🇵🇭

Beautiful job for the first time out! 👍

One tiny detail. I think the seat post clamp AS bolt is installed from the wrong side.

Back