When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'39 CW Rusty Build

-
Nice job, Dave! 2 snaps up!

Would you share your secret sauce rust/patina producing recipe?
This is from one of @Rusty72 posts:
Mix [hydrogen] peroxide with vinegar and add salt! It will rust right before your eyes.
Let it dry and repeat. The more passes you do the darker it will get. The mix is about half and half in a spray bottle and about 2 table spoons of salt.

Start there. Maybe yours won't come out as orange as mine did the first time. If it were to happen again, before I used any BLO, I'd smooth out the orange rust with a light sanding, then rub in some dark stain. BUT I'D STILL BE
EXPERIMENTING! By no means have I perfected my process (at least on this bike).

On some other projects I've done, the peroxide, vinegar and salt mix worked perfectly and I was very satisfied with the a darker rust result. So who knows???

Also, this time, no BLO! Just Johnsons Paste Wax, which won't leave all those little white dots in the valleys like auto paste wax does.

Lots of helpful hints, nice comments, and likes in this thread from a bunch of you guys. Thank you!

Last edited:
This is from one of @Rusty72 posts:
Mix peroxide water with vinegar and add salt! It will rust right before your eyes.
Let it dry and repeat. The more passes you do the darker it will get. The mix is about half and half in a spray bottle and about 2 table spoons of salt.

Start there. Maybe yours won't come out as orange as mine did the first time. If it were to happen again, before I used any BLO, I'd smooth out the orange rust with a light sanding, then rub in some dark stain. BUT I'D STILL BE
EXPERIMENTING! By no means have I perfected my process (at least on this bike).

On some other projects I've done, the peroxide, vinegar and salt mix worked perfectly and I was very satisfied with the a darker rust result. So who knows???

Also, this time, no BLO! Just Johnsons Paste Wax, which won't leave all those little white dots in the valleys like auto paste wax does.

Lots of helpful hints, nice comments, and likes in this thread from a bunch of you guys. Thanks you!
Thanks for sharing. I have a bare metal SK tanker that will be perfectly rustily patinaed (sp?) soon.

Back