When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ladies Varsity, Breeze, World Tourist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

zappa2000

Look Ma, No Hands!
I posted yesterday about a men's Schwinn Varsity that I found at an estate sale (the red one in one of the attached pictures)

. I picked that up for $30. They also have a ladies' Varsity, a 'Breeze' and a World Tourist. They are asking $50 for each but would probably let them go for $30 as well. Any ideas whether they are worth picking up?

I don't think those others are worth bothering with, unless you need some parts. And then, I'd hope they'd be freebies!

I would leave those 3 right where they are. If I could get them all for $30 might buy them for parts but would have to think about that even. That was a score on the Varsity and $30 is a great price. Dave types faster than me!!!!!!

I'd get that GREEN 1971 Women's 21 inch VARSITY ten speed.
Yeah it needs a Shimano rear derailleur ( or Suntour) instead of that Huret hunk of junk, but that is so simple.
It needs a new chain and likely cables but that is inexpensive.
I love the women's COLLEGIATE and SUBURBAN five speeds in the 21 inch stepthrough frame.
They are incredibly practical and any man under 6 foot 2 inches and 220 pounds can easily ride them as the seat height adjustment will handle that.
I have converted dozens of Women's 21 inch frame (the largest offered) to tourist bikes with the 7881 handlebars and brakes from SUBURBAN-COLLEGIATE-BREEZE etc.

The Bell Pitcrew600 cable set is $10 from online Walmart & online ACE HARDWARE. You do need a quality brake cable cutting tool to do the job but it is otherwise extremely simple and you end up with a bicycle that has more demand today than a heavy Schwinn with racing handlebars which nobody wants today.
The GREEN 1971 there serial number BGxxxxxx would be Feb 1971. The wheels appear clean and undamaged with minimal to zero rust on the wheels.
A Varsity is bulletproof if you get rid of the Huret Allvit Schwinn approved Hunk of Trash rear derailleur which is terrible compared to anything from Shimano or Suntour. The shimano built GT-100 from the 1970-1973 Collegiate/5spSuburban or GT-120 from 1974-1977 Collegiate/5spSUBURBAN will interchange perfectly and will be five times better than the Allvit.

That is a pretty CAMPUS GREEN 1971 Ladies Varsity in the largest frame size.
It will be great for any man to ride or any lady taller than 5 foot 3.
The fact that the colors as seen on the ladies Varsity and ladies Collegiate of the late sixties were unisex in that they were great colors that also were on the men's models. The early seventies ladies Varsity, ladies Collegiate, and ladies Suburban also were unisex in that they were also great colors that were featured on men's models.

$30 is more than reasonable considering that it is a simple and bulletproof Schwinn that would make a perfect UPRIGHT tourist bike. Toss the drop bars and their brake assemblies as nobody needs or wants them on a 40 pound Schwinn.

I would not use a 21 inch frame women's VARSITY/SUBURBAN/COLLEGIATE or the better SUPER SPORT as a parts bike since the frame size is so practical. Well, maybe the SUPER SPORT since the frame is different and it has more responsive--twitchy handling than the electroforged Schwinns. I am not a big fan of the SUPER SPORT because of the handling difference, but I do like the aluminum wheels and the freewheel gearing of the SUPER SPORT, but that is about all.

There aren't too many men that are insecure and too chicken to ride a large women's frame Varsity/Suburban/Collegiate.
Many older men will find it easier to mount and exit off of a larger women's step through frame.
Folks don't need to be told this, as they mostly realize it, but still a few either give up riding rather than ride a girls bike.
You need not be an orthopaedic surgeon to know the fools that kept on fighting trying to swing over and on to the man's model but sadly messed up and did the I've fallen and can't get up, get me to the emergency room because think somethings broken when I hit the ground hard.........Yep, that happens because some doofus won't ride something smarter and easier to get on and off because he perceives it to be a girls bike.
It isn't as if the bike is a Patty Duke Autographed model that has cute flowers and adorable kitten and puppy stickers decorating it with a Tiger Beat magazine sticker on the rear fender.

Some of the excellent colors that are superb that you will like on the large 21 inch women's frames. ORANGE, KOOL LEMON YELLOW, CAMPUS GREEN, RED, that Kroger supermarket BLUE metallic color, and a beautiful VIOLET purple that was available in the mid sixties, and a Jim Rockford's ROCKFORD FILES tv show 1970's Pontiac Firebird-GM COPPER color that Schwinn had in the mid sixties.
Those are some of the outstanding colors that come to mind.
As people said back in the old days, that Campus Green is a dynamite color. Back in the early seventies, Danny Partridge, Greg Brady, or Peter Brady might have described the KOOL LEMON or ORANGE as Far Out.

I agree with Vince, all three are just space takers. I used to pick up beautiful ones a few years back out of the trash for the head tubes. Badge screws, cups and bearings. Stem, sometimes the crank and pedals also. Some of the bikes would yield a few accessories that were worth more than the bike. Everything else went to the scrapper. There are a few folks that re-work these bikes, like Arnold Ziffel, God bless him. I've sold at lots of swaps and even the nice ones are hard to sell.
IMG_2898.jpg
IMG_2901.jpg

Last edited:
I'd get that GREEN 1971 Women's 21 inch VARSITY ten speed.
Yeah it needs a Shimano rear derailleur ( or Suntour) instead of that Huret hunk of junk, but that is so simple.
It needs a new chain and likely cables but that is inexpensive.
I love the women's COLLEGIATE and SUBURBAN five speeds in the 21 inch stepthrough frame.
They are incredibly practical and any man under 6 foot 2 inches and 220 pounds can easily ride them as the seat height adjustment will handle that.
I have converted dozens of Women's 21 inch frame (the largest offered) to tourist bikes with the 7881 handlebars and brakes from SUBURBAN-COLLEGIATE-BREEZE etc.

The Bell Pitcrew600 cable set is $10 from online Walmart & online ACE HARDWARE. You do need a quality brake cable cutting tool to do the job but it is otherwise extremely simple and you end up with a bicycle that has more demand today than a heavy Schwinn with racing handlebars which nobody wants today.
The GREEN 1971 there serial number BGxxxxxx would be Feb 1971. The wheels appear clean and undamaged with minimal to zero rust on the wheels.
A Varsity is bulletproof if you get rid of the Huret Allvit Schwinn approved Hunk of Trash rear derailleur which is terrible compared to anything from Shimano or Suntour. The shimano built GT-100 from the 1970-1973 Collegiate/5spSuburban or GT-120 from 1974-1977 Collegiate/5spSUBURBAN will interchange perfectly and will be five times better than the Allvit.

That is a pretty CAMPUS GREEN 1971 Ladies Varsity in the largest frame size.
It will be great for any man to ride or any lady taller than 5 foot 3.
The fact that the colors as seen on the ladies Varsity and ladies Collegiate of the late sixties were unisex in that they were great colors that also were on the men's models. The early seventies ladies Varsity, ladies Collegiate, and ladies Suburban also were unisex in that they were also great colors that were featured on men's models.

$30 is more than reasonable considering that it is a simple and bulletproof Schwinn that would make a perfect UPRIGHT tourist bike. Toss the drop bars and their brake assemblies as nobody needs or wants them on a 40 pound Schwinn.

I would not use a 21 inch frame women's VARSITY/SUBURBAN/COLLEGIATE or the better SUPER SPORT as a parts bike since the frame size is so practical. Well, maybe the SUPER SPORT since the frame is different and it has more responsive--twitchy handling than the electroforged Schwinns. I am not a big fan of the SUPER SPORT because of the handling difference, but I do like the aluminum wheels and the freewheel gearing of the SUPER SPORT, but that is about all.

There aren't too many men that are insecure and too chicken to ride a large women's frame Varsity/Suburban/Collegiate.
Many older men will find it easier to mount and exit off of a larger women's step through frame.
Folks don't need to be told this, as they mostly realize it, but still a few either give up riding rather than ride a girls bike.
You need not be an orthopaedic surgeon to know the fools that kept on fighting trying to swing over and on to the man's model but sadly messed up and did the I've fallen and can't get up, get me to the emergency room because think somethings broken when I hit the ground hard.........Yep, that happens because some doofus won't ride something smarter and easier to get on and off because he perceives it to be a girls bike.
It isn't as if the bike is a Patty Duke Autographed model that has cute flowers and adorable kitten and puppy stickers decorating it with a Tiger Beat magazine sticker on the rear fender.

Some of the excellent colors that are superb that you will like on the large 21 inch women's frames. ORANGE, KOOL LEMON YELLOW, CAMPUS GREEN, RED, that Kroger supermarket BLUE metallic color, and a beautiful VIOLET purple that was available in the mid sixties, and a Jim Rockford's ROCKFORD FILES tv show 1970's Pontiac Firebird-GM COPPER color that Schwinn had in the mid sixties.
Those are some of the outstanding colors that come to mind.
As people said back in the old days, that Campus Green is a dynamite color. Back in the early seventies, Danny Partridge, Greg Brady, or Peter Brady might have described the KOOL LEMON or ORANGE as Far Out.

Some of those seats would make good chew toys for a pet mouse. God bless anyone wants to save them. As Kipling would say, "You are a better man that I am, Gunda Din". We antique CABErs should be stocking up on the walkers in picture #1.

Last edited:
Back